PDA

View Full Version : Dinan Transmission chip question

fkong777
10-25-2006, 12:35 PM
I just installed a Dinan Tranny chip in my 540ia.. However I cant seem to find any type of document or post to describe what it actually does.. So I don't know if it is functioning properly.

From what I can tell. The shift points are different. It seem to be more aggressive than stock but not as aggressive as S4. There is a lot more auto up and down shifts. In traffic it is usually in a correct gear for good drivability. it is smarter than the stock program. almost seems like it knows my Throttle position and shift according to it.

S4 didn't seem to be any different.. but I haven't really try on a twisty road yet.

I wish there was a better outline on what the chip enhanced and function is. It came with a good installation manual and torque bit tool.. but not a operation outline. Please post if you know what the chip is suppose to do. There's got to be some technical data on the chip. I just cant find any.

Thanks

632 Regal
10-25-2006, 12:52 PM
not many on here have used one. From what I remember it is supposed to make drive like sport mode and thats it.

nixter
10-25-2006, 01:25 PM
I imagine it will upshift a little bit later in the RPM band during hard accel and during decel will keep your revs higher.... That would make sense anyways.

n

fkong777
10-26-2006, 03:41 AM
im surprise no one use this chip.. Driving with it for one day now.. I feel it is a better transmission program..It is almost like BMW programmed the oem tranny software to be very relax drive..

Dinan transmission software feel just right..more sporty but and it doesnt hold a gear forever like S4 mode. doesnt feel like a old man's car anymore.

swenpro
10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
fkong,

Thanks for the info... please keep us updated here about how you like the chip after some weeks/months. No question in my mind that these cars drive like gramps when they're stock. Only good thing about that is its more economical. Do you have an EAT performance chip as well? And how much is the Dinan tranny chip? I'm wondering if these two would work well together...

thanks,
Greg

Denton
10-26-2006, 10:38 AM
im surprise no one use this chip.. Driving with it for one day now.. I feel it is a better transmission program..It is almost like BMW programmed the oem tranny software to be very relax drive..

Dinan transmission software feel just right..more sporty but and it doesnt hold a gear forever like S4 mode. doesnt feel like a old man's car anymore.

:)

I do think that BMW wanted a relaxed trans program.

I'd just ask Dinan about it, they're good with customer service, especially providing engineering info.

BillionPa
10-28-2006, 12:19 AM
its purpose is exactly as you described it, to make it more sporty and smarter.
S4 shouldnt be that different, as it is also an adaptive program and will hold revs according to throttle position and engine load.