PDA

View Full Version : Give it to me straight Doc!

Jehu
10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
It may have been nothing.Maybe just my mood.I had just screamed at some motorist up ahead riding in two lanes at half the speed limit.They had blown my flow big time and i had had it. Ready to explode when shifting into fifth gear and the gear selector seemed to go into fifth strangely easily, like there was nothing there, it usually notches in kind of that got my attention. Then as i began to accelerate...... where are my balls? It was like hardly moving but the mileage meter dove down to nothing this kept my attention. I was accelerating but it just didn't seem to be with regular fifth gear gusto.Maybe i wasn't at speed, i can't recall clearly because i was so infuriated with the goon up ahead delaying my return to my domicile.Then i shifted into sixth and it it seemed to feel no different than fifth... again i may have just been going too slow to be in those gears but i did accelerate.From the next stop first,second,third all seemed normal but fourth seemed a little weak then fifth and sixth also weak but now better acceleration than a few moments ago when my attention was drawn to them... I didn't get much of a chance due to road conditions to open it up and run thru the gears for more than a 1/4 mile but then everything seemed essentially normal, i got up to 100 but something still just didn't feel exactly the same as it had felt.Am I imagining this or does this sound like something comprehensible. I don't think the clutch was slipping in the lower gears but was what i felt "slipping" in fifth and sixth or again was i just not at sufficient speed and there was too much inertia?Thanks.

Paul in NZ
10-20-2006, 09:02 PM
do it again...take her out accelerate in a high gear,watch the tacho...

Jehu
10-20-2006, 09:06 PM
do it again...take her out accelerate in a high gear,watch the tacho... yah that reminded me , i did look at it when i first noticed, if i remember correctly, it seemed to be hanging down around 2000-2500 but i was only going about 40 MPH max.That's what i menat by the guy ahead blew my flow. It was a 50 MOH road long and straight and actually goes right past the BMW Indy shop but for no good reason this cretin was doing 30 and i kept expecting him to pick it up but he kept slogging along though i began running thru my gears...... i guess i can take it out in a few minutes. its 10:30 PM here, dark and windy so the highway around the corner should be pretty em[ty... if the tach doesn't move above 2000ish what does that tell you?

Paul in NZ
10-20-2006, 09:08 PM
what you are looking for is if the tacho goes up but the speedo doesnt=clutch slipDont make a special trip,just next time you go out

Jehu
10-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Got it , thanks. i think what i noticed was that neither the tach or the speedo was moving as i'm used to and when i felt the shift selector drop into the fifth position with no resistance that was just so unusual i began focusing on it. I think it was just inertia and i was in too high a gear for that speed but in my head i was already doing 70..lol

scoop2004
10-21-2006, 12:37 PM
try booting it in 5th,what ur expecting is a rise in revs without the speed rising,then it'll load up and begin to increase speed,this is how to tell if ur clutch is slipping.sounds like it is to me,either that or u were too low in the rev range to get the usual pull u see, u do say u were in 5th at 30, not many cars wud take off like a rocket at that speed in that gear

Jehu
10-21-2006, 12:48 PM
I took it out on the highway a few minutes ago. It seemed OK. Revs were not rising without acceleration. It must just have been a defective posterior steering wheel nut.... I'm thinking my expectation of going faster based on past experience on that road presented a more convincing image of reality in my mind than had my other physical senses .In other words i just got ahead of myself. If I'd been running I'd have tripped over my own feet and ate dirt.Thanks for the helpull reply

KenB
10-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Take 2 aspirin and downshift.;)