PDA

View Full Version : How much should a clutch job cost on a 540?

bbig119
10-09-2006, 05:19 PM
I need a new clutch, and while I'd like to do the job myself, I don't think I have ready access to a location to do it. I'm now collecting quotes from several places, but I'd apprecate feedback if its any good or not.

A buddy of mine got a quote from a guy he knows who has his own shop.
"
Here is the email with details of the quote:
On the 540.. figure 7 hours total.

This includes:

Replacing the clutch assembly
Replacing the rear main engine seal and seal cover gasket (Common
failure on M60s.. might as well do that while we're at it)
Replacing the pilot bearing
Replacing the clutch release arm and release arm spring
Replacing the clutch release arm pivot pin
While we're in there, new shifter bushings.

OK..

Clutch kit lists at $495, it's $400. That's an OE kit with release
bearing and pressure plate. While we're in there, the rear main seal's
$40, the gasket for the rear main seal cover is about $2 IIRC, the
shifter bushings are about $20 if I recall, a new clutch release arm is
$23, the spring for the release arm is $5, and the pilot bearing is
$10. All stuff that you should change while you're in there. Oh yes,
almost forgot the release arm pivot pin, it's like $2 or $3.

Figure it's about a $1,050 job. We usually charge a bit more tho ;)
"

Its more than I thought something like this should cost, but a quick call to the stealer who came in at $1300 without any specifics of what that includes brought me back to earth. I also checked prices of the parts at BMA and autohauzs, and by and large it seems to be in line with small markup.

So what do you guys think? I'm near philly, so if you know any shops that might be better for that I'm all for it.

Thanks.

yaofeng
10-09-2006, 05:42 PM
I think the price is great. I doubt you can find anything lower.

Dave M
10-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Most parts look reasonable. I'm a bit shocked at the price diff b/w a 525 and 540 clutch kit. 100 more hp, almost double the price.

If everything on that list gets done for the price, I'd say its a good deal. According to your figures, the labour is ~ $550-600 depending on taxes. I expect the job would be more difficult than a 525 (do you need to remove manifold etc to get at a starter?), so it might be a good part of a day.

Now watch Winfred or Bill tell you they can do it in 3 hours :D

Dave M

brosher
10-09-2006, 05:57 PM
The PO of my car had a clutch installed about 10k miles ago. The receipt came to $893 including $465 for the clutch kit.

bbig119
10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
The PO of my car had a clutch installed about 10k miles ago. The receipt came to $893 including $465 for the clutch kit.

I'd kill to get that price. Well its good to know that I'm not getting totally ripped off.

GoldenOne
10-09-2006, 07:41 PM
wow, my indy only charges me 400 for everything but partly because i dont pay labor :p

Dave M
10-09-2006, 09:00 PM
I'd kill to get that price. Well its good to know that I'm not getting totally ripped off.

BUt is he getting the rear seal, linkage bushings etc. All that crap adds up. Who knows, maybe you'll get a free coffee while you wait.

Dave M

Eric Clark
10-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Price sounds fair to me. The quote I got in DC with for the same work came in at $1300. What shop are you taking it to?

bbig119
10-10-2006, 07:49 PM
The quote described in detail above is from this shop(http://www.motorsportrecycling.com/). I'm going to talk to the guy tomorrow about ordering the parts and setting up a time to take it in. I also got a similar, although less firm quote from Bavarian specialties in King of Prussia PA.

bbig119
10-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Just to follow up for anyone who may find this thread in the future.

Cluch job cost me roughly $1200, but I ruined my flywheel by driving it with a slipping clutch for a week or two. The guy at the shop told me that if I had brought in as soon as it started to slip, I may have saved the flywheel. As it was, a new flywheel cost me $725(with a $125 discount), and that bumped the total bill to over $1900.

So please, for your wallet's sake, don't wait on the clutch when you notice it start to slip.

Dave M
10-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey, I remember this thread. Hadn't pieced together that it was you who recently posted about the flywheel.

Thanks for the follow up,

Dave M

dbals
10-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Just to follow up for anyone who may find this thread in the future.

Cluch job cost me roughly $1200, but I ruined my flywheel by driving it with a slipping clutch for a week or two. The guy at the shop told me that if I had brought in as soon as it started to slip, I may have saved the flywheel. As it was, a new flywheel cost me $725(with a $125 discount), and that bumped the total bill to over $1900.

So please, for your wallet's sake, don't wait on the clutch when you notice it start to slip.

So I am assuming that the flywheel can not be resurfaced on a M60? Can anyone confirm this?

bbig119
10-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I did some searching on the forum and the official answer is- no. I believe some people have found ways to rough up the surface some, but I don't know what the outcome was.

My flywheel was in pretty bad shape though-- things might be different if I had gotten it to the shop right away. Maybe then, there might have been something they could have done to freshen up the surface.