PDA

View Full Version : Problem...

ArtemLepilov
10-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Today I attempted to repair the 318is... I have swapped the coils, put a new gasket set on the valvecover, new oil, new oil filter, new plugs, lots of other new stuff (cant remember what).

Now for the problem.

After I got it all done, it ran great for a bit. I drove my friend home from the garage (he was helping me/learning to weld) and then on the way to his house, the car started to violently shake from time to time - happened a couple times, we were both like wtf? And decided to just keep on going as we gotten closer and closer to his house. When we got to his house, we idled there in his driveway, and I decided to let him drive (he races, and he had a 944 to learn to work on cars, and now hes got another one - so its alright, as in he knows what hes doing when it comes to a 5-speed, plus he's got an E30 318is himself.) Now he takes it around, it feels great - tires are badl suspension needs a refinish, but engine is great. So - he takes it around at over 80 on some streets. After that we slowed down, and the car started shaking again, just as it did before. Upon driving a few more blocks, we decided to check it out to see if everything is alright. We pop the hood, and the underneath is covered in oil. The oil is everywhere. We found out that the oil was leaking through the oil filter housing cover (i may have overtorqued it, and broken the metal seals on it) - from the looks of it, it was spraying all over. We quickly shut off the engine, checked the levels, added as much oil as we had with us (thank god we brought an extra quart), in the end we were just able to barely touch the minimum mark on the dipstick (not even)....

So after that we drove it back to his house and I drove it back to mine and left it there upon returning to boston (in my 525)... Throughout all that time the car was shacking upon pressing the accelerator, rather violently, mostly felt at around 2k RPM... It feels as if the car misfires, but not really. Dont know exactly what to describe it as... - as if something is unbalanced would probably be the best way to put it (like an old school washing machine with one side of the centrifuge more loaded than the other). I do not know what it can be... can anyone as to possibly make any suggestions?

-Thank you all very much, Artem

ArtemLepilov
10-15-2006, 01:19 AM
My friend thought it was the connecting rod bearings, then again - it was 100% just a guess as he admitted, but i mean - in theory it can possibly be that... Also - the exhaust is in kinda rough shape.. so - could that be the case?

Anyone? Please? :)

Any information guys, im kinda desperate on this...

-Thank you all, Artem :)

SnakeyesTx
10-15-2006, 02:24 AM
Maybe you have two cylinders coils/wires crossed? Sometimes it's not noticable at idle, but really becomes pronounced at speed.

calmloki
10-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Leaving the oil problem alone.....I'm thinking you have at least one dead hole, probably related to the work you did. Check the plugs to see which one is fouled or wet, check connections and change coil to that plug. There is a chance that the sprayed oil is responsible for the bad spark - maybe try running it w/ hood open in the dark looking for arcing. Bad rod bearings is coming out of left field: if there is no problem, you do work, and a problem appears ALWAYS suspect and double check the area you worked in.
Tom