PDA

View Full Version : problem upshifting e34 540ia

clonetropper
10-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Hello:

I have a 95 540i e34 auto..130Kmiles. I'm experiencing upshift problems.. The problem seem to occurs when Im on the fwy and I go full throttle to Pass.The transmission kick down to a lower gear It stays in the lower gear. It doesnt upshift until I shift to "S4" then back to "AD".

I believe the tranny fluid is been in the tranny for the last 60K miles or so.. It is suppose to be lifetime fluid..

Any advice?

winfred
10-13-2006, 09:04 PM
one possiblity, the early trannys were a little too adaptable and if flogged they will sometimes hold a gear long after you want it to shift, the managers 95 740 is ****ing annoying to drive because if this, i remember hearing something about a updated tranny program to solve this

clonetropper
10-13-2006, 09:16 PM
one possiblity, the early trannys were a little too adaptable and if flogged they will sometimes hold a gear long after you want it to shift, the managers 95 740 is ****ing annoying to drive because if this, i remember hearing something about a updated tranny program to solve this

If that is true then it is good news for me.. My Dinan Tranny chip just came in I have to pick it up from the dealer. I got some royal Purple MAX ATF sitting in my garage.. I may change the fluid anyways.

pingu
10-14-2006, 06:54 AM
If you've got the 5HP30 gearbox then it's meant to use special lifetime ATF fluid - you may be risking the future life of the autobox if you use the wrong fluid such as Purple MAX.

Ross
10-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Lifetime, my ass! The life of the fluid perhaps, then the life of the box suddenly expires. Change it.

MBXB
10-14-2006, 07:22 AM
5HP30 Lifetime Fluid... a well discussed topic. Do an archive search.
Dinan chip is great; add an engine EAT chip while you're at it.

splower
10-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Mine does this too, both before the gearbox died and after it was replaced. The mechanic told me it was down to the adaptive program in the contol unit, I dont really worry about it, and find it normally shifts before it reaches red line....

clonetropper
10-15-2006, 10:55 AM
should i reset the tcu in the mean time? it is annoying.