PDA

View Full Version : Slight hesitation

Visions
10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
92 735i 238k miles.... Car runs fantastic... Never put in plugs since I have owned it cause it ran so great... Started to get a slight rough idle so I figured put some new plugs (Bosh Supers) Distriutor and rotor.... Pulled plugs they were Supers too and they were worn,,, slightly crusty looking but the electrode wasn't... it was just worn looking... Checked the gap on them and it was .035 and I guessed they wore a bit so the gap was bigger... figured they were gapped on the high end and since the car ran so smooth and great with the old plugs I would gap on the high end too so I gapped them at .034 .... Before changing the dist and rotor I fired it up and it ran good... at first it was a bit rough and I smelled a little fuel in the exhust but that cleared up... so I put the dist and rotor on and fired it up again and it ran much better... but.... I have now noticed a slight hesitiation on acceleration... I took it out and ran it... At operating temp the idle is very smooth and the hesitation got better after running it hard for a few minutes but the hesitation is still there a bit... Do you think the gap could cause this or should I look else where... its not like its horrible but I like to know whats happening so I can fix it before its a real problem... Maybe with the new plugs the O2 sensor will need to adjust to the new burning and it will take some driving for it to fix it... I dont know...

Might as well add I tightened the plugs by hand then used the wrench to tighten them snug and it was about 1/4 turn... felt like anymore would be too much... I didnt have a torque wrench

By the way changing the plugs, distributor and rotor was so easy... I used the spark plug socket from the Tool kit...

shogun
10-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Check for the temperature sensors for intake system and the coolant. Maybe one of them is defective and gives a wrong signal.

The O2 sensor just gives a signal to the MOTRONIC what it measures, but has no influence on the spark plugs.
Have you tested the O2 sensor?
Stomp test any results?

Visions
10-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Forgot to report back.... anyway the hesitation went away after a short time of driving and the car runs fantastic.... I recommend that $38 chip you can get on Ebay that says increase of 43 horsepower... Huge improvement in power and smooth idle... My friend has a 90 535 5speed with the chip and he can burn off the tires... now I want a 5 speed in my 735i... I think I read that can be done

shogun
10-28-2006, 04:43 AM
It can be done, Gale has done it. Go to my website below and look for the link to Gale's page, he has described it in detail