PDA

View Full Version : E32 735 has developed a clicking noise from gearbox/rear engine

Tomo
10-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Hello

I've a strange one.

My E32 735 has developed a clicking noise from gearbox/rear engine on light acceleration from standing or when stationary on a steep incline. It does not seem to make the noise On harder acceleration. It sounds a bit like a piece of plastic in the spokes of a bike.

It has been with me a few months and I’m getting a bit frustrated with it.

At first I thought it was to do with the driveshaft centre bearing which was worn and noisy also. I had the centre bearing replaced but the clicking noise continued. Also my mechanic replaced the sump gasket recently and did not see anything.

The other day I realised that it also occurred when stationary on a steep incline. I was parked on a steep driveway and wound the window down and there it was though I was stationary. Mmm.

My mechanic has checked it over and can’t find anything so far. (He calls it a fluffy sound vs my click sound).

He says he thinks it may be something touching the flywheel.

Anybody got any ideas to help us?

Cheers
Tom

redcoat
10-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Just a silly idea, someone hasn't put a cable tie (zip tie I think Americans call it) on your tail shaft. It makes a very annoying ticking sound and are hard to spot.

PS: If you don't like someone do this, it's great!

Tomo
10-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Yep, sounds like that, but it makes the noise whilst stationary

Tom

Just a silly idea, someone hasn't put a cable tie (zip tie I think Americans call it) on your tail shaft. It makes a very annoying ticking sound and are hard to spot.

PS: If you don't like someone do this, it's great!

redcoat
10-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Tomo,
Since my last reply to your thread I have noticed the same sort of noise coming from the back of the engine/gearbox. I took it to my mechanic ( a friend of mine) and we put it on the hoist. From underneath the car it is much louder and even sounds like the tappet rattle that is common to old beemers. The noise comes and goes and was doing it in park and neutral. I have not heard it whilst driving the car. My mechanic suggested it could be the torque converter, as that is where he thinks it is coming from but other than taking the gearbox out he can't do anything. He said, whatever it is sounds expensive and told me to turn the radio up so I couldn't hear it! haha. Anyway, my car is 16 years old now and not a show car, i expect problems and am not going to spend the probable thousand or more aussie dollars trying to fix a noise when a new one springs up the following week.
I know that isn't very helpful but it's the best I've got. If you do get any better leads let me know.

Regards,
Redcoat