PDA

View Full Version : Headliner install experience.

laguner
09-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, I had a saggy headliner on my 1990 535i and thought I would give a headliner install a try. I do almost all my own mechanical work and have done seat recovering and carpet replacements in the past. I figured...how hard can it be? I went to the WLS website and downloaded the instructions. I bought the headliner material on E-Bay and thought I was all set. I pulled the car aprt without much problem and thought to myself...this is easy! Then the nightmare began. First of all, removing the old foam sucked. I ended up using a drill with a wire brush on it after several different attempts with scrapers and razor blades etc. The drill worked great but the foam made me really itchy or maybe it was the fiberglass shell dust. Anyway, wear a long sleeve shirt and a mask is probably a good idea, although I didn't use one. I got the shell stripped and again thought that the job wasn't bad. I then started to spray the 3M super Tack glue and the problems started. Finding the ideal amount of glue is almost impossible. Too much glue and the cloth becomes saturated and slightly dissolved I think. Also, once the cloth touches the glue, it is removable somtimes but not always without ripping off foam. The numerous indentations in the shell around the handles amd the sunroof just didn't want to stick. Again, I think I used too much glue. Just lightly glue the board. You don't need glue on both surfaces. The area around the sunroof has a radius in the corner and is camfered all the way around. I could not get the corners of the suroof opening to stick because the material was so tight in those areas. I would recommend gluing and then duct taping the material. I only learned this trick too late. In summary, just buy a new one for $350. It will look better and take a lot less time. I know I'll hear how easy it is from others but I don't buy it. Just save your money and buy one. I have evrything back together and it looks alright but not great. It is sort of lumpy because I overglued some areas. It is definitely better though and no more sag. Oh, one other detail; there are clips that hold all the pillar covers. Buy at least a dozen of them because they get damaged when the panel covers are removed.

shogun
09-30-2006, 08:40 PM
The problem you had is the WLS headliner, that is too thick and that is the problem that it touches where the sunroof is and the curves.
Just lightly glue the board that is enough, and only always a small portion so that you are not in a hurry to bring the material on.
I have done about 10 now already and I get faster and faster, it is just a bot of exercise. Detailed instructions with pics are on my website.

632 Regal
09-30-2006, 08:56 PM
I dont have the courage even as easy as it sounds on your site. Staples are comming back into style!
The problem you had is the WLS headliner, that is too thick and that is the problem that it touches where the sunroof is and the curves.
Just lightly glue the board that is enough, and only always a small portion so that you are not in a hurry to bring the material on.
I have done about 10 now already and I get faster and faster, it is just a bot of exercise. Detailed instructions with pics are on my website.

laguner
10-01-2006, 06:12 AM
As stated in my thread, I used BMW factory material I bought on E-Bay and not the WLS material. It isn't too thick but in the corners of the sunroof I should have started there and let dry. Any way you slice it, the job is not easy. I will not be doing another one. I know when I'm out of my league. Maybe Shogun has the touch. Some people have the touch, I didn't for this task. I'll stick to wrenching. The point of my thread was to describe the hard parts and prepare others for the job.

shogun
10-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Hi laguner,

YOU DID it, and that is it. Some people even do not try to do it.
And that is the point
Jeff Bidoli is now offering me a free round trip ticket Japan - USA to make is headliner ;)
Or did I get that wrong, Jeff? :D

barry 90 525i
10-01-2006, 10:12 AM
its not that bad, just use the expensive spray glue, about 12 dollars a can at home depot, me and my wife did it, we sprayed a thin coat one section at a time, and u will find a coke can fits perfectly in the grab handle recess to hold it till it dries, i messed up around the sunroof opening a little, but for a first time its not bad and saved me a lot of money for other things, maybe next year ill do it again and learn from my mistakes.

Alexlind123
10-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Dont even try. The horrible orange crap will only come off if you dedicate SEVERAL WEEKS of your life to scrubbing it wiht a brush.

barry 90 525i
10-01-2006, 10:51 AM
i did it in one day, and i had a lot of foam

Derek A.
10-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Take the headliner to a trim shop and have it done professionally - that is what I did. I also had all the other material replaced ( rear parcel shelf, a pillars etc) Cost was pretty reasonable and it all matches.
http://www.opus45.com/pics/bmw_interior_3.jpg

shogun
10-02-2006, 02:14 AM
I can compete with a trim shop now, no problem.
Really not difficult ;-)

shogun
10-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Damm...t , no one wants to try it?
Hey. come on, you disassemble transmissions and you give up with a headliner????

Macv
10-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi laguner,

YOU DID it, and that is it. Some people even do not try to do it.
And that is the point
Jeff Bidoli is now offering me a free round trip ticket Japan - USA to make is headliner ;)
Or did I get that wrong, Jeff? :D

While you're here...... ;)

If you'd ever make the jump, I'm sure there's tons that would like to meet you.