PDA

View Full Version : OT: Amazing crosswind landing tests

Wes F
09-26-2006, 02:36 AM
Some amazing crosswind landing tests from Boeing, apparently they're testing landing gear that can rotate and orient itself with the runway (to a degree). This is actually not new technology, 'cause it's been on the B-52 military bomber for decades now, but pretty damn cool to see it on modern airliners like the 747 and 777.

This should make it a bit easier to land in harsh crosswind conditions. Vegas I know is one place that can be a bitch, at times I've had full rudder deflection and just barely keeping her aligned.

Pretty badass flyin' here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOxo0s33sI)

brosher
09-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Wow those last two were wild.

genphreak
09-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Wow those last two were wild.I hear the Airbus can land backwards now they are making it in Ireland... (joking) Awesome vids...

Would have run for it if I was those camera guys on the edge in the second last one!

I always liked it when the wind was going one way then the other myself, its better than a carefully planned, strategically placed, woopee cushion for fun in the cabin.

Will the undercarriage auto-track the wind to cover last moment gusts... I'd hate to see it land with the wheels pointed the wrong way! :) Nick

632 Regal
09-26-2006, 10:22 AM
the last one was almost sideways, incredible video

mattyb
09-26-2006, 03:06 PM
brilliant. Thanks wes

Macv
09-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Wow, I always wondered how they landed in that.

Wes F
09-26-2006, 06:05 PM
This could've helped all those dudes having to land at the infamous Hong Kong Kai Tak airport. In high crosswinds, without that rotating gear, you gotta kick the rudder at the last second to straighten your self out, like here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIVjKoUewc

Bet that scared the crap outta some of those passengers :p

That Kai Tak airport was closed in '98, just couldn't handle the amount of traffic coming in and out, among other things.

The cool thing about it though was its famous Runway 13 approach, nicknamed the "checkerboard" approach. What made it so challenging (as well as spectacular to watch) was due to the geography of the surrounding area. Having mountains and densely populated areas at both ends, pilots would have to first approach NE, being guided down by an instrument guiding system. Then upon reaching a hill marked by a red and white checkerboard, being only 2 miles from the runway at less than 1000 feet, they'd have to make a 47 degree visual right turn to line up with the runway. Typically, the turn would start at 650 ft and roll out at only 140 ft. What made things worse were crosswinds that would often rip through due to neighboring typhoons and whatnot. Pretty cool to see a big ass 747 banking at very low altitudes, rolling out just above the runway and topping it off with a big crab to stay centerlined. More here:

Another cool landing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE)

Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Tak_Airport)

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-26-2006, 06:30 PM
This should make it a bit easier to land in harsh crosswind conditions. Vegas I know is one place that can be a bitch, at times I've had full rudder deflection and just barely keeping her aligned.

on a windy day was a fun one too. especially the old short approach in the 80's.

Wes F
09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Wailuku? There is(or was) an airfield over there?

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-26-2006, 07:48 PM
wrong place, Wailuku had the radio stuff

Wes F
09-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Ah, yes, Kahului. Going in there with a little Cessna you can really get the **** kicked out of ya, and then to hear, "winds zero-two-zero at twenty gusting thirty-five, cleared to land runway 5." Aaamm, any chance runway 2? "Unable, landing traffic Boeing 767 one mile final." ****. :p

horseheadnebula
09-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Holy crap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj0M249VVmo&mode=related&search=

Wes F
09-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Holy crap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj0M249VVmo&mode=related&search=

That somehow looks fake. I can't imagine the nose coming down that fast in succession without collapsing the nose gear, not to mention completely blowing out the tires.

Airborne001
09-27-2006, 04:53 AM
I have seen B-52' that were able to crab their landing gear about 10 degrees to complensate for a crosswind, but nothing like this.

If they do incorporate that into passenger planes, it is gonna be a real stomach churner for the passengers.

Macv
09-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Agreed, that last one looks fake

Paul in NZ
09-27-2006, 06:01 AM
Wellington NZ has some pretty wild landings,runway too short for the big uns sea at both ends runway pretty much n to south winds ussually nw or s.
just put castors on em!

mkaareng
09-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Notice the condensation forming due to low pressure behind the vertical stabilizer in the third landing... Now THAT'S what I call a slip-angle!

SharkmanBMW
09-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I flew into Hong Kong in 1991... scared the **** out of me!
One minute you are in the air, then you look out and you are 15 feet off the water! water, water, water....... and just as you are sure you're toast, runway appears and you touch.... VERY unnerving if you are unprepared for it!

It takes some serious balls to pull off some of those landings in Hong Kong from the clips shown of them swerving at the last second to get straight!

nizmainiac
09-28-2006, 07:59 PM
wow

stx133
09-29-2006, 01:36 AM
after that 'extreeme' korean landing, the pilot deserves a cigar,

and a case of scotch.

Ross
09-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Muy grande cahones!!

Jay 535i
09-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Agreed, that last one looks fake

Or at least sped up a lot.

nizmainiac
09-29-2006, 04:06 PM
big balls is right:D

attack eagle
09-29-2006, 04:57 PM
THere was no rotatable landing gear on ANY of those aircraft in the first video Crosswind landings'.

As the video said, "Learn from your Betters (pilots)"

Nice crosswind landings to watch though.

Zeuk in Oz
09-29-2006, 07:29 PM
The worst I have experienced was coming into Keflavik (Iceland) when the plane was pushed straight down about 100 feet just as we were going in to land.

I could see the moss growing on the lava ! ;)