PDA

View Full Version : Trans Program on my '94 740iL ! ! !

Jazzman
09-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Help ! My wifey's '94 740iL had the Trans Program code and will not strat at all this morning. I do not know where to start. It has the "sealed" transmission and it has been running normally until this morning when it would not start. I can't even pull any fault code because the display will immediately flash the Tran Program. Also the transmission gear indicator will show a *P and then will disappera completely. I am almost positive it is not a problem with my transmission but how and where should I start???:(

shogun
09-20-2006, 03:47 AM
It might be the gear selector switch, If the system does not know which gear is in, it will not start. Here is something from the E32 on this subject
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_13.htm

Jazzman
09-20-2006, 05:00 PM
It might be the gear selector switch, If the system does not know which gear is in, it will not start. Here is something from the E32 on this subject
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_13.htm
Thanks Shogun!!! I will do this thing this weekend. However, will a failed fyuel pump relay and therefore a dead fule pump cause the TRANS PROGRAM error? I had my son turn on the ignition switch and I don't hear the pump whine in the trunk, pad lifted and close to the access cover. I am also in the process of checking that the pump is still good (the pump is just a little over 2 years old!). Will that cause the error? Thanks.

shogun
09-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Trans program comes in many situations as a kind of protection. So if something is wrong, my car goes into trans program = limpmode.
You can bridge the fuel pump relay for a test.
On my E32 it works like this: if you set ignition in position run, the fuekl pump starts running till the required fuel pressure is reached. If engine is not started, fuel pump stops again. Maybe on the E38 the system is the same.

Jazzman
10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Trans program comes in many situations as a kind of protection. So if something is wrong, my car goes into trans program = limpmode.
You can bridge the fuel pump relay for a test.
On my E32 it works like this: if you set ignition in position run, the fuekl pump starts running till the required fuel pressure is reached. If engine is not started, fuel pump stops again. Maybe on the E38 the system is the same.

Shogun, my 740 is now fixed. I thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced it after troubleshooting from the DME relay to the fuel pump relay. I was looking at the wrong pin outs the first time so all pointed to the fuel pump. After $320.00 i paid to the stealership got it installed but still a no go. After all the troubleshooting I hit it on the DME relay. Got one from the same stealership for $24, installed it, started it and it ran, and it ran much more smoother than before the Trans Program. Thanks for the tips. You're right trans program does not necessarily means the transmission.