PDA

View Full Version : To give you guys a relative idea of how fast my car is now...

Jon K
09-15-2006, 12:09 PM
My friend graduated from college and bought himself a Mk5 GTI 2.0T - he has about 5k miles on it and bought the EIP tuning chip - for those of you who do not know, putting a chip on a factory turbo car gains you a lot of power typically - it ups the boost etc. So we were driving down a 4 lane highway* here and for shits we decided to open our cars up a little. I am usually very modest in driving my E34, but I decided what the hell, lets waste some fuel (at alarming rates). He gets on it and I get on it and immediately my revs rocket toward my 7800 rpm redline. I let off showing I had a bad start with bad bad clutch slip. Then we line up again, from about 60 mph again this time I start in 3rd gear - for those not aware, when you're in a lower ratio gear (4th and 5th, numerically low ratio) the turbo loads so much better and your boost builds faster... so naturally my chances of slipping the clutch in 3rd gear is less than 4th which is less than 5th (to be honest, wide open throttle above 5500 rpm in 4th and 5th is like revving in neutral in my car :( ) - so from third about 3k rpm or so, we go. He builds boost instantly from his KKK K03S turbo on his 20v 2.0T and my ginormous truck turbo isn't entirely there yet... but I grin thinking "wait for it...wait for it..." and then bang at around 3800 rpm the bitch really puts you in the seat and I rip not only up to his rear fender, but clear past him getting into 4th, enjoying 4th gear for about 5 - 6 secs (now at excessive speed with him a good portion behind me) and before the 5500 rpm "clutch kill" mark I let off. So yea, I smoked a EIP chipped Mk5 GTI 2.0T.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, right? I mean, a 4 cylinder 2.0L with a baby turbo on it... big deal! However... the EIP chip dynos 292 WHEEL TORQUE and 245+ WHEEL HP! And you might be inclined to say "yeah well 245 hp isn't all that much!" but what we're shoving cars forward with is torque, and 292 wheel torque IS a lot! Consider it further, his car comes in at 3000lbs and he has no rear seats, so prob around 2900lbs. My car comes in at what guys, 3600 lbs? Plus turbo and parts, plus carputer, subs, 3 amps, etc etc etc... 3850 lbs? I think it's safe to say that my car is putting down over 350 wheel torque... I am sure someone here can figure out the math and maybe ballpark better... but holy crap.

When I walked him initially I was like "eh big deal, 2.0L Turbo kill, nice but not that big a deal!" but then my buddy was like "bro, those dyno 292 wtq.." i was in disbelief. Here is the dyno for reference:

http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/images/dyno_sheets/mk5_fsi/image_01_750.jpg

He also has an intake and I think an exhaust!

So now I am debating over do I put a clutch in now and not when I finish my 8.3:1 compression motor, or do I wait... I really want to dyno this thing!

* All driving performed on closed course, obviously.

CharlesAFerg
09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Talent.
You definately learned some **** somewhere that apperently is paying off bigtime, and I want a part of it lol... What did you read all these years, where did you learn? I have a friend here that's the same way, he won't ****ing tell me.

Jon K
09-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Talent.
You definately learned some **** somewhere that apperently is paying off bigtime, and I want a part of it lol... What did you read all these years, where did you learn? I have a friend here that's the same way, he won't ****ing tell me.

I don't know I am the same with computers, I just do stuff. I guess tinkering around and simply trying stuff - understanding concepts of what does and does not work, find the failing point in setups that do not work and change them so they do. I have a bunch of friends with high horsepower VWs and stuff but they for the most part had the cars built by someone - I guess you just need to understand how things work - how to better the points of what does work, and hope for the best. Its about 10% skill, 50% luck, and 40% having the balls to do it. I'm only 21 so I can't claim to have years of experience.

632 Regal
09-15-2006, 12:23 PM
put in the clutch now. This way you can dyno "both" for comparison of what the turbo can actually do...plus you will have a little more fun a little sooner :D

angrypancake
09-15-2006, 12:31 PM
what kind of clutch would you need?

Jon K
09-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Leaning toward a Spec stage 5

attack eagle
09-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Time for a clutch, unless you plan on replacing the flywheel soon anyway. Keep on and you are gonna wind up stranded with either the whole thing welded together, or a kitty hair clutch.

Go ahead before you casue it to finish self destructing.

nizmainiac
09-15-2006, 04:18 PM
how close are you to finishing the low compression motor jon?

Thayne
09-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't know I am the same with computers, I just do stuff. I guess tinkering around and simply trying stuff - understanding concepts of what does and does not work, find the failing point in setups that do not work and change them so they do. I have a bunch of friends with high horsepower VWs and stuff but they for the most part had the cars built by someone - I guess you just need to understand how things work - how to better the points of what does work, and hope for the best. Its about 10% skill, 50% luck, and 40% having the balls to do it. I'm only 21 so I can't claim to have years of experience.

My buddy is the exact same way.

Michael999
09-15-2006, 05:18 PM
I dont quite understand, when you get into really high revs, the clutch slips?
You have so much power up there that the clutch wont hold?
Or does it just rev past so fast that its useless?

angrypancake
09-15-2006, 06:15 PM
I dont quite understand, when you get into really high revs, the clutch slips?
You have so much power up there that the clutch wont hold?
Or does it just rev past so fast that its useless?

i think thats it.

Tiger
09-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Clutch are rated for certain torque... so having more torque than the clutch is rated for will result in slippage.

wjbell
09-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Nice! I'd put a clutch in it now and dyno it.

On a similar note to Charles question. Back when I was about 19 (I'm 39 now. Wow, for some reason reading that just seems worse :) ) I had a 1981 Ford Currier[sp] longbed pickup with the 2.3L 4 cyl. I bought it from a freind already dropped with nice wide wheels. The engine was pretty much stock with a header going into a turbo muffler. But it was a quick truck. This was right when mini trucks were starting to be the "thing".

So anyway, me and my friends were always working on our cars. Welding, rebuilding, coming up with our own mods, etc. And I found somone with a SVO mustang motor complete with turbo. The SVO's were pretty much the same as the 2.3L that I had as far as I can remember. So I bought the turbo and proceeded to install it on my truck. Me and my friends had to do a lot of custom stuff, I remember the exaust came up from the Turbo and had to loop back down under the car for some reason. Like a little arch that would have stuck out of the hood. about and inch or two.

Anyway, we got it in and working. I know there was no intercooler. I remeber the oil feed line and some seals were out in the turbo so it smoked pretty good out the exaust from burning oil. I'm sure there were a few things wrong, including too high of compression from my motor that wasn't desinged for a turbo. It was pretty gutless, especially at low rpms. But it sure was cool hearing that turbo spool up and feeling a little bit more power kick in!

Jon K
09-15-2006, 09:21 PM
The reason the clutch slips up high is because on a turbo motor the most torque is actually generated in higher gears (the more load on the engine, the more boost) and so it won't slip until the torque comes on hard at 5500 rpm or so :(

Paul in NZ
09-15-2006, 10:09 PM
My friend graduated from college and bought himself a Mk5 GTI 2.0T -

what is it?

winfred
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
fast vw (http://www.autotech.com/projectcars_mk5.htm)

what is it?

Paul in NZ
09-15-2006, 10:18 PM
right :)

angrypancake
09-15-2006, 10:19 PM
wow, an ECU upgrade ads +52hp +103tq(!!!!!!)

winfred
09-15-2006, 10:19 PM
hair driers can be fun, the new guy at my shop has a tcd kit on his 533 built with a m30b34 short block with a b35 top end (wishes he used a b35 bottom end too for the extra compression for off boost power) he just did a couple 1/4 mile runs and the best of 3 with a bad reaction time and crappy wheel hopping launch was 14.3, 13s easy with some driver work and maybe screw with the tire pressures too

Paul in NZ
09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
hair driers can be fun, the new guy at my shop has a tcd kit on his 533 built with a m30b34 short block with a b35 top end (wishes he used a b35 bottom end too for the extra compression for off boost power) he just did a couple 1/4 mile runs and the best of 3 with a bad reaction time and crappy wheel hopping launch was 14.3, 13s easy with some driver work and maybe screw with the tire pressures too

i see driveline issues in the (near) future?

angrypancake
09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
is his name Kyle?

winfred
09-15-2006, 10:46 PM
yep

is his name Kyle?

angrypancake
09-15-2006, 10:51 PM
recognized the description of the car, I've been lurking on the mye28 board:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/shnizoz/chilidawg.jpg

Macv
09-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Can we expect another "burnout video" from you Jon?

ILoveMPower
09-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Can we expect another "burnout video" from you Jon?

Yes please.

Or at least some flyby's or something...

Macv
09-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Yes please.

Or at least some flyby's or something...

Make one when you dyno as well :)