PDA

View Full Version : Continued oil leak

4byr
04-09-2004, 12:35 AM
I have an oil leak in my 1994 530i that I haven't been able to find. I have taken off the intake and repalced all gaskets and o rings and cleaned the valley of residual oil. The oil is back! The oil residue is on the top of the valley and I am wondering if the cover on the top of the block could leak oil. I have heard it is called the swimming pool and is only coolant packages. I have replaced both valve covers and they do not leak! The oil is on the drivers side by the oil filter and on the top of the block. I wonder if the leak is coming out of the base of the oil filter by either the banjo bolt or somewhere else and is traveling onto the top of the block. There is a metal tube with what appears to be electrical sleeving on it that starts down by the filter and goes across the front of the block into the valley and terminates at the back passenger side of the block. Does anyone know what this is? Is this an oil line? I am not sure where to go now. I am going to remove the intake again and clean the block and replace gaskets and may remove the oil fiter from the mount and clean the area. Are there seals near the oil filter housing? The oil is only on the driver side of the block and in the valley. It does not appear to be coming out of the oil pressure gauge either. The oil is not on around the crank or on the air conditioner side. Any ideas?

Please help me.

I am in the process of replacing the motor mounts. Not too bad a job so far thanks to the forum!

Javier
04-09-2004, 08:47 PM
and tube going into the oil filter?

winfred
04-09-2004, 09:54 PM
theres a couple aprox 1" o-rings where the oil filter assy connects to the block, it could be one of those. other then that possibly a timing cover gasket. yes that's coolent under that plate under the intake, another possible leak place, theres a vent tube going from the timing cover to the pcv plate on the back of the intake, it may have a bad o-ring

4byr
04-11-2004, 12:02 PM
theres a couple aprox 1" o-rings where the oil filter assy connects to the block, it could be one of those. other then that possibly a timing cover gasket. yes that's coolent under that plate under the intake, another possible leak place, theres a vent tube going from the timing cover to the pcv plate on the back of the intake, it may have a bad o-ring

I am going to try to remove the filter assembly time permitting today. The o rings on the vent tube and PCV venturi plate & gaskets were replaced last month. I really thought that was it and it wasn't. I will be removing the intake again to clean up the valley. I guess this means the orange intake seals are to be replaced again. Do you think they are reusable after a month? Under the plate is all coolant or is there an oil passage in there? Do you know what the other tube or harness is that is under the intake in the valley? Is it oil or electrical? It looks like electrical becuase it has that plastic sleeving/insulator on it. It connects in the back of the passenger side part of the block and originates somewhere near the oil filter housing. Is this suspect or do you think it is bad O rings on the filter? The oil is in the valley and down the front driver side of the motor and has fully penetrated the driver side motor mount. Thanks to this site I identified and have loosened the 17 MM bolts and am ready to do this also. After replacing the thrust arms due to a bit of shimmy in the front end, I found a clunking sound also. I have tracked this down to the motor mount being completely wasted by oil. I just want a drip free motor. This is dogging me! I hope it isn't the timing cover gasket that is leaking. That could be more than I want to deal with. The whole front end probably has to come off.

Off I go to tackle it!

Thank you for your assistance.

Chris M
04-11-2004, 02:38 PM
I think that you guys have just solved my mystery oil leak as well !! Thank you !! Does anyone have picture of the oil canister removed from their car? Also, is there an o ring on the oil canister side as well?

Thanks,

Chris

Javier
04-11-2004, 03:48 PM
http://caracas.intercable.net.ve/jgandra/BMWE34/Oil.jpeg

Bill H.
04-12-2004, 10:13 AM
isn't that diagram a six cylinder motor? Anybody got a V8 picture?

Javier
04-12-2004, 10:25 PM
nt

4byr
04-12-2004, 10:40 PM
I have looked at the oil filter assembly and am trying to get it off so I can clean up the oil mess behind it. What is the trick to get this off. I have been unsuccessful yet in removing the alternator because the oil filter housing is just too stubborn. Do I have to take the hoses off on the block side of the filter first? This has not been that much fun and I enjoy working on cars.
I see oil stains on the front part of the timing cover that appear to be wet. The wet area is just above the serpentine belt adjustment idler. Is this the suspected area that leaks? the stains are only on the drivers side of the block. It alsmost looks as though the head gasket is leaking the oil. Is this likely? THe car runs strong and without trouble other than the leak. What do you think?

4byr
04-12-2004, 10:56 PM
http://caracas.intercable.net.ve/jgandra/BMWE34/Oil.jpeg
I appreciate the posting. It really helped with the visual. THe biggest problem I have is getting the filter assembly out of the way so I can get the alternator out. Who has the fix for this little gem. I can't get a wrench on the nut of the hoses going to the filter housing. I can't pry the filter out of the way enough to get the alternator out so I can get at the nut that attaches the hoses to the filter assembly. I don't think I can get at the hoses on the block side either. THe power steering pump and hoses are in the way. If I have to take the power steering pump off this is going to be a pain! if I do what kind of problems do I have with the pump losing prime. Will it burn it out when it is turned over. What a mess! Looking up into the front driver side of the motor, I see some moisture (oil) at the top of the idler rollers at the front cover. I wonder if this is the bolt that is leaking? Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the alternator and oil filter housing off? I am sure someone has some tips. This has been an insight to how tight things are in foreign car building. I will probably be ASE certifiable after all of the work I have done.
Any help would be appreciated. I just hope the oil I see isn't coming out of the head gasket. This is really the worst. Has anyone ever done heads on a 530i it doesn't look fun with the timing chain and such.

Rich

Javier
04-13-2004, 09:33 PM
http://caracas.intercable.net.ve/jgandra/BMWE34/Alternator1.jpg

http://caracas.intercable.net.ve/jgandra/BMWE34/Alternator2.jpg

http://caracas.intercable.net.ve/jgandra/BMWE34/Alternator3.jpg

4byr
04-13-2004, 09:56 PM
I just can't get the alternator free of the oil filter housing. I have twisted and turned this thing to no end. What a pain! I may have to give up on fixing the leak.

Mike R.
04-14-2004, 01:10 PM
I have a '95 530i and fixed an oil leak when I replaced the intake and valve cover gaskets last year. When the valve covers are off, you can see a thin metal-metal seam near the front of the engine on each side where the timing cover meets the head. I presume there's a small gasket in there but it looks like it would be a real pain to replace. My engine had a small bead of silicone sealant (obviously a repair) smeared on this outside of this joint from beneath, but it was starting to leak oil on both sides. I fixed it quickly and cheaply by pulling off the silicone, cleaning off the excess oil, spreading a thin bead of RTV on the outside of the seam, and tightening the timing cover bolts. No more leak.

It's hard to describe where this seam is, but it's in front of the forward-most spark plugs on each side. You can't see it from above (unless the VCs are off) but can feel it from below with your index finger. BMW recommends using Hylomar to seal the VC gaskets at this spot, but my leak was between the timing cover and the cylinder head, below the valve covers. The RTV I used was some expensive Chrysler stuff that they sell for sealing up Jeep differentials. It was about $13 a tube as I recall, grey in color, and the consistency of toothpaste - without the "silicone" feel that most RTV has. It stuck very well to the seam even though I'm sure there was still some oily residue there.

Maybe this is your problem. My fix was pretty easy and has held up well for over a year now. I hope I never have to do a proper fix and remove the timing cover - it looks extremely hard to access the bottom bolts.

Good luck,
Mike

4byr
04-15-2004, 12:22 AM
I have a '95 530i and fixed an oil leak when I replaced the intake and valve cover gaskets last year. When the valve covers are off, you can see a thin metal-metal seam near the front of the engine on each side where the timing cover meets the head. I presume there's a small gasket in there but it looks like it would be a real pain to replace. My engine had a small bead of silicone sealant (obviously a repair) smeared on this outside of this joint from beneath, but it was starting to leak oil on both sides. I fixed it quickly and cheaply by pulling off the silicone, cleaning off the excess oil, spreading a thin bead of RTV on the outside of the seam, and tightening the timing cover bolts. No more leak.

It's hard to describe where this seam is, but it's in front of the forward-most spark plugs on each side. You can't see it from above (unless the VCs are off) but can feel it from below with your index finger. BMW recommends using Hylomar to seal the VC gaskets at this spot, but my leak was between the timing cover and the cylinder head, below the valve covers. The RTV I used was some expensive Chrysler stuff that they sell for sealing up Jeep differentials. It was about $13 a tube as I recall, grey in color, and the consistency of toothpaste - without the "silicone" feel that most RTV has. It stuck very well to the seam even though I'm sure there was still some oily residue there.

Maybe this is your problem. My fix was pretty easy and has held up well for over a year now. I hope I never have to do a proper fix and remove the timing cover - it looks extremely hard to access the bottom bolts.

Good luck,
Mike

4byr
04-15-2004, 12:36 AM
I am going to take a look at this area. It doesn't look like fun in there! Since the alternator and oil housing removal is an absolute nightmare I may opt to clean the area the best I can and try some goop on the mating gasket interfaces. Some of the bolts on the timing cover appear to be no seeums with the stuff in the way. I am going to try this and see what happens. I hope it isn't the head gasket. I find it hard to believe but you never know.

The car has run well but leaked about a teaspoon a day. This can get really messy in the driveway and street day after day.

Thanks,

Rich