PDA

View Full Version : 318is radiator departed today, 101k on original one

billb
08-30-2006, 09:19 PM
3 mile commute home, and I noticed the puddle in the driveway when I got home this afternoon. Actually, it was starting to rain, and I parked in the driveway. I went back out to move the car so we could take the 525 to Church, and noticed two blue-tinted puddles where my E30 had been.

Further inspection shows it's failed at the crimp to the expansion tank. Original Behr, 101k indicated miles, mfg. in 2/90. BMA doesn't have the Behr, but they have the Nissens. I ordered that, and a brake light switch and two hood shocks from BMA for $226 delivered.

So, guess I get to take the E34 to work the next few days. Darn. ;)

Jr ///M5
08-31-2006, 06:34 PM
It's a good time to do the water pump and thermostat while you have it all apart. Then you should be good on "new blue" for the next couple of years.

I'm seeing these cars consistantly with over 200k miles, and they haven't had a fraction of the care that you provide.

TC535i
08-31-2006, 08:40 PM
An E30 318is (91) blew it's tank after my last track day... saw him at the gas station with a puddle under his car. Looks to have split somewhere between the rad and expansion tank, but we couldn't tell where because it was just coming out the seams. No idea on mileage.

Gotta figure mine out... I think I want to swap with an M3 radiator, that might help fend off cooling issues with the SC (gets up to 3/4 by the end of a 30 minute session in 100+ deg temps)

GJPinAU
09-01-2006, 01:54 AM
The "Red One" had a new radiator when we bought it. Can't believe that was nearly 12 months ago.

Bloody passenger side light still playing up, guess I'm going to have to chase down the short.:(

billb
09-01-2006, 06:34 AM
An E30 318is (91) blew it's tank after my last track day... saw him at the gas station with a puddle under his car. Looks to have split somewhere between the rad and expansion tank, but we couldn't tell where because it was just coming out the seams. No idea on mileage.

Gotta figure mine out... I think I want to swap with an M3 radiator, that might help fend off cooling issues with the SC (gets up to 3/4 by the end of a 30 minute session in 100+ deg temps)

Can't nail it exactly, but there was steam in the area after letting it run again and shutting down. Sixteen years is pretty good in my book for a radiator.

billb
09-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Total install time of new Nissens radiator last Thursday, 9/7/06: 30 minutes, 20 of which were bleeding the air out of the system. My fan shroud is starting to crumble, so I had to JB Weld the upper left corner back together. Swapped the bumpers from the old radiator to the new, put it in place, hooked up the hoses (3), secured the frame clamp at the top, filled it with BMW blue coolant, turned the heat on high, and within 20 minutes, we were done. The wife came out and asked when I'd be done, to which I replied "I already am". She was surprised at how quickly the job was completed. Me too, but it is such a simple, thoughtfully designed engine/chassis that it makes it so easy to work on.

Cost of radiator: $172.32 delivered from BMA (had some other items on the order as well, thus the weird price)

Not leaking a drop!