PDA

View Full Version : New Break Pads question - Serious Help/Advice needed

kngpen
02-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Hi, I need to replace the break pads on my front passenger side of the car because its noisly rubbing metal to metal and his been this way for the last 2-3 days. I was wondering where I should buy them from and how hard are they to install. I really have a tight schedule and dont really want to fork over money right now. This is a real dilemma that this is happening to me right now. This BMW is pissing me off big time with its little problem after problem so OWHT)#U%)(U)(#%U)(#%()#U. LoL you get the point. Especially after all the nice things I buy it like the bliesten shocks and H&R springs that are coming this week. Should I goto the BMW dealership to get the break pads or order them from BMA? How long do I have to ride around in the current state of metal on metal. I might need a new rotor from driving around like this but I had orignally planned to buy some of those brembo slotted drilled big ones anyways. Thats why iam kind of pissed this had to happen now. Any suggestions? Bottom line, Iam riding around scared of that treacherous rubbing and screaching when I break coming from the passenger side front of the car. Working a full load and 12 hours of college doesnt help either.

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-01-2004, 10:12 PM
I'd just buy it all from BMA, rotors and everything.

But in your case, with what you want to do, and your current load. I would suggest just buying the cheapest pads you can from Autozone and throw them on for now. The job is real easy. Most of the work will be lifting the car and removing the tire. But you will need a 8 mm hex socket. I believe it's 8mm (someone correct me). Just get that at autozone when you get your pads. Then order all your new stuff and install them as soon as possible.

winfred
02-01-2004, 10:44 PM
7mm on the caliper pins

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks Winfred. Now I remember how hard it was to find that 7mm, all the hex sets I found at the time skipped from 6mm to 8mm.

7mm on the caliper pins

kngpen
02-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Alright I`am going to goto autozone buy a cheap pair and install those tommorrow. Any1 know if theres a step-by-step procedure listed anywhere? I just ordered 2 front brembo cross-drilled rotors and some front pagid break pads as well. They should be here in 2-3 days, is it safe to wait?

Bill R.
02-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Raybestos QS series ceramic pads.. I have installed no brake pads that give me fewer problems than these on every car. quiet, dust free, excellent stopping power and readily available.

Alright I`am going to goto autozone buy a cheap pair and install those tommorrow. Any1 know if theres a step-by-step procedure listed anywhere? I just ordered 2 front brembo cross-drilled rotors and some front pagid break pads as well. They should be here in 2-3 days, is it safe to wait?

Unregistered
04-07-2004, 01:02 AM
I am replacing my brakes this week. I just ordered Balo rotors and mintex pads from BMA. Should be here tomorrow. i'm a newbie to DIY stuff and have never done my brakes before. So I need some major help. I looked at Bmwe34.net for the write up. I wanted to confirm what tools I needed before removing my wheels and finding out I don't have the right tools and parts. My car is a 90 e34 525i. I'm not sure if the bolt size and brakes are the same on all e34's. I've seen different sizes from 2 seperate DIY's. So what tools do I need exactly???

pad carrier bolts? 19mm or 15mm socket wrench
caliper guide bolts? 10mm or 7mm.
rotor mounting bolt? 6mm allen wrench

Also I think I need a C-Clamp. Is this necessary? Please let me know if I forgot anything else. In case I have to run to Home Depot.

Thanks.

Paul in NZ
04-07-2004, 05:15 AM
when you compres the pistons back into the calipers watch the brake fluid.As you push the pistons back in(that is what the c clamp is for) you will push fluid from the calipers back up the lines into the resevoir.If you have kept the fluid topped up it may overflow......it did on my last car :( .While you are at it bleed out all your old fluid.There may be a caution related to ABS but i am not sure