PDA

View Full Version : Vibration Problems (60mph and when stopping/bumps)

AllGo'n'Show
08-20-2006, 05:21 AM
Hey all,

Alight so I've been having the typical vibration and such problems that soem of the E32's have but mine seems to be worse.

So far I have replaced:

All control Arms + Bushings + Ball joints
Sway Bar Link (Right side, left side is coming)
3 sets of brake rotors

My problem is when I step on the brake or hit a bump, the steering wheel goes nuts liek a wheel is about to fall off, kinda starting to scare me because I never know when it will go and I drive across the city everyday to get to work then back again.

My question is, if wheel bearings are very worn, would it cause this problem? I'm thinking it might be because I feel some brake pedal movement along with the steering wheel and I know the right side bearing was on its way out when I first bought the car a year ago.

My only other ideas are tie roads *will also be replaced* and then getting into steering box and such which I really hope it isn't because I have a feeling thats going to be an expensive fix.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I'm willign to try anything as I get massive discounts on parts and do just about all the work myself when I can or if I get lazy I jsut book it through work when they are slow and normlly don't have to pay anyways.

Thanks in advance for any help! I want to keep this baby running, going on 207xxx miles and am very pelased with it so far, I want to keep it going. I got a buddy who does Carbon Fibre stuff and am looking at making a CF hood and trunk and some other fun stuff to make it unique.

AllGo'n'Show
08-27-2006, 10:41 PM
bump

Anyone?

MDLeers
08-28-2006, 01:03 AM
certain your suspension is good - you've got practically all new parts - the only thing left would be the wheel bearings. It is very rare for the bearings to go but it does happen, and they can be exacerbated by suspension parts that have been allowed to languish past their prime - not that yours had - but if they did, it would be detrimental to the normally bullet proof wheel bearings.

AllGo'n'Show
08-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Ok thanks.

One thing I was reading is that the grease in these sealed hub units with bearings that are non-replaceable. If you do alot of high speed stopping and get your brakes really hot, the heat transfers right through and melts that grease as it is not hi-performance (higher melting point then hi-temp) grease and that can also lead to bearings wearing faster. I know sicne I have owned the car I have gotten some very very hot brakes as you can smell them quite well most of the time :D

Ross
08-29-2006, 08:23 AM
If your wheel bearings were worn enough to cause this sort of shimmy the brake pads would also get pushed back into the calipers giving you a low pedal on first application. If your tie rods are this bad you would have a ton of play in the steering also.
Were the bushings replaced to remedy this problem? Did it improve only to get bad again later? Often the bushings are improperly done so that they fail again quickly due to being prestressed.
Sounds like bushings to me.

AllGo'n'Show
08-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Bushings were replaced, worked for about a day then was toast again

Ross
08-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Before tightening the through bolt that attatches the arm the car should be on the ground. If the bolt is tightened with the suspension hanging when the car is dropped the bushing is under stress causing it to fail. One day is awful fast,maybe something is just loose.
Please don't put carbon fibre parts on that car!

AllGo'n'Show
08-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks, if I remember correctly we had the car lowered back on the hoist before we tightened up the bolts.

I'll put whatever I please on the car, this thing is a giant pig and needs to loose some weight.

Next spring it might even be fully stripped with a roll cage and a couple of racing seats.

AllGo'n'Show
09-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Well talked to a tech at my new job today and he says from what I described, tie rods. So all 4 will be ordered and installed this Tuesday hopefully and we can put an end to near-death braking

AllGo'n'Show
09-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Tie Rods in - Fixed some of it but I have a feeling I have warped the 3rd set of rotors so we will get another yet and try again.