PDA

View Full Version : 535i engine code: 1-2-2-2 runing rich... What could it be?

Bruno
04-05-2004, 09:21 PM
I changed an O2 sensor on a 535i auto '89. And now I have the engine running rich code.

I spray the whole engine with carb cleaner trying to find a vacuum leak but couldn't find any.

What can cause that. The car runs rough when it is cold also, then works better when it warms up.

Always something new to learn.

George M
04-06-2004, 06:10 AM
spraying the engine with carb cleaner won't give you much because that is to trace a vacuum leak which makes a car run too lean not too rich. So an rich running engine shouldn't respond to that test :-)
If you didn't have a rich code prior to changing the 02 sensor...this wasn't clear by your post....first thing you want to do is check the voltage from the O2 into the DME...0-1 VDC...Bentley describes how to check this. You want to confirm that the DME is getting good info from the O2 and whether is it getting too lean a signal from the new O2.

Other things to consider influencing a rich condition:
- Plugged air filter in the air box.
- Faulty DME temp sensor...check resistances per Bentley
- Rudimentary check of the AFM using a multimeter...again...guidelines are in Bentley.

Connector condition on aging Bimmers is not to be overlooked as well...check the connectors to the above.
About covers it.
HTH,
George

Bill R.
04-06-2004, 09:00 AM
be beyond it in either direction, either too lean or too rich and trigger a 1222... Was there some other indication that it was too rich such as wet sooty black plugs? if it runs rough when cold but ok when warm it could be something as simple as the dme temp sensor, it depends on that temp sensor reading to determine if the engine is cold and needs additional fuel to idle properly when cold.. so it could be reading that the engines warmed up and setting the fuel mixture accordingly so it would start and idle like a car without a choke... until warmed up...this could also set a code since it only requires that the o2 sensor read a very lean or very rich condition for 10 seconds before setting this code.

I changed an O2 sensor on a 535i auto '89. And now I have the engine running rich code.

I spray the whole engine with carb cleaner trying to find a vacuum leak but couldn't find any.

What can cause that. The car runs rough when it is cold also, then works better when it warms up.

Always something new to learn.

George M
04-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Bruno....I replied to your e-mail but am getting a Postmaster no go even after a second attempt....something up with your server?...maybe its mine :-)
Anyway, sounds like your customer's car may be OK now.
Thanks for the note,
George

Bruno
04-06-2004, 09:32 AM
I didn't have time to check more on the car as the owner had to leave with the car, but this was the answer I received after changing the O2 sensor:

The car ran much better on the way home.....the light only came on a couple of times on the way home(only for a second -- as soon as i took my foot off the gas it went out and didn't come back on)but i could feel it had more power to it. No more trying t stall out though.

I will check the temperature sensor next, the rest of the engine received a tune up.

Thank you

Bruno
04-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Interesting, I received other emails for other people... I don't know what's wrong.
Seems like email servers are blocking a lot of addresses lately because of SPAM.