PDA

View Full Version : I need help - my car is being killed

Robke
08-11-2006, 06:43 PM
its back to the garage, i'll wait fot the result first

shogun
08-14-2006, 10:54 AM
So, what is the problem? How can we help you?

Robke
08-14-2006, 05:56 PM
well, the car is back and is still not ok.

the facts: E32 M60
before i brougt it to the garage the car ran smooth but was not very powerfull, i smelled gasoline at idle (at the exhaust) and it used a lot of gasoline.

after reading a lot of posts on the board and going thru bentleys i thought it could be the lamdasondes.

The garage confirmed this.
They changed the lamdasondes(Bosch), sparkplugs( Bosch Platinum 4) and oil(?).
When the car came back the engine was shaking out of the engine bay, i could hardly get going and it lost all power.
When its cold it seems like its driving more or less ok but after a few minutes the trouble begins and sometimes after a short drive i need to stop because it will not rev over 1500 - 2000 revs (and shakes like crazy).
When i shut it down for a minute and start again it will protest but eventualy revs up.

I returned it to the garage and after a computer test they said it was because my engine is bad , they did a good job and now it was my problem(?)

I checked the forum again and came up with the idea that they could have used the wrong lamdasondes or 2 different ones, i told that to the garage and they did a test using a computer while driving and they state that electricaly everything is 100% but maybe they put in a to light oil (10W40) and it should be a 15W50 ( I am Dutch but live in Portugal since this year and we have temperatures of over 40gr.C here) and because of the thin oil my valves would be off timing or would not open completely ( it's their story, not mine).

I can't help thinking that if i bring a car wich runs more or less ok and it comes back all wrong than there is a problem with someting they did, in this case the lamdasondes but i'm open for all suggestions.

sorry for the long story:(

thanks in advance
Rob

shogun
08-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Rob,

go to bimmerboard, there are the E32 experts
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/page/0

There are also some members for Netherlands such as Johan and Dutch740.

I do not think that they put in a wrong oxy sensor also called Lambdasonde. Basically they are all the same for the E32 and E34 and with 4 wires, only the length of the wire loom up to the plug is different.
But what they could have messed up is to mix the connectors. I did that once by myself on my 750, which also has for each cylinder side/row one oxy sensor. The connectors underneath are just sitting side by side and I mixed the connectors up to the plugs. The engine was running terrible till I found that out. So for the cylinder 1-6 I connected the Lambda to the MOTRONIC for cylinders 7-12. On the 740 there are also 2 oxy sensors
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/productx.aspx?sid=gxuvisyfdxt2u5q530fycy45&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012813@740I&year=1993&cid=19@Emission%20System&gid=5132@Oxygen%20Sensor

10W 40 oil is o.k., I use the same one here in Japan where the temperatures are the same as in Portugal.
Anyway, for the oil they tell you nonsens.

Robke
08-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi Shogun

Thanks for the fast response.
I will try switching the connectors tomorrow, did not think about that one at all.
About the oil, yep, they probebly think something like: heey, a stupid dutch guy, lets rip him.
I don't understand a word they say.....
My father was a Toyota dealer for 35 years and i have learned some things over there, but a Toyota is not a BMW and WTF i know, i think i always better ask somebody how does know.

Again thanks for the response and i let you know!

Happy driving.
Rob

Robke
08-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Changed the wires and.......the car runs perfect, great tip, thanks