PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Range Switch Location?

jimross
08-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Does anybody know where the Transmission Range Switch is located?
The Bently Manual trouble shooting guide said to replace it. Engine Cranks, Won't fire, Trans Program error.
Thanks
Jim
'95 525iT

shogun
08-11-2006, 12:01 AM
It is part of the EWS system (drive away protection)
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf#search='transmission%20range%20switch'

saconnect
08-11-2006, 12:14 AM
I'd send you a picture, but I cannot get them to post. Assuming your car was made in 1994, If the car is in park, it's located just in front and to the right of the shift lever. It's what allows the shift lever to select the gears. Mine's yellow. It has four wires running out of it the colors are Brown and white, blue and white, brown and black, and blue and black. It's powered from Fuse F17 in the front fuse box, and If I remember right there were two allen head bolts hoding it on.

This switch is kinda cool. It sends a four digit binary number to the dash, and to the Transmission control module to tell it what gear you're in. True drive by wire...no more messy linkages.

Unless it's really worn, cleaning it is sufficient. Stuff like coffee and coke seems to fall down in there. If you go to replace it, get one from the dealer. Call first, don't expect them to have it in stock, and be sure to have the last 7 digits of your vin number handy. Where ever you get it, make sure you can return it if it does not work. I had a difficult time getting the right one to replace the one on my touring, and it has a superseeded part number or something like that because they don't make that one any more so taking the part with you won't help. It was only about $50 though after I made three trips back to the dealer. They had to call someone somewhere to find the right part after I returned it. It took about a week to get it in.

One of the symptoms that the switch it's bad or needs cleaning is that the gear indicator on the dash will not maintain a steady display of the gear your in. It will change for example between N or D even though your in D.

I havent seen one yet cause the car not to start though I suppose it's possible. it does send some type of signal to the Check control module

Saludos -- Mike

jimross
08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
I'd send you a picture, but I cannot get them to post. Assuming your car was made in 1994, If the car is in park, it's located just in front and to the right of the shift lever. It's what allows the shift lever to select the gears. Mine's yellow. It has four wires running out of it the colors are Brown and white, blue and white, brown and black, and blue and black. It's powered from Fuse F17 in the front fuse box, and If I remember right there were two allen head bolts hoding it on.

This switch is kinda cool. It sends a four digit binary number to the dash, and to the Transmission control module to tell it what gear you're in. True drive by wire...no more messy linkages.

Unless it's really worn, cleaning it is sufficient. Stuff like coffee and coke seems to fall down in there. If you go to replace it, get one from the dealer. Call first, don't expect them to have it in stock, and be sure to have the last 7 digits of your vin number handy. Where ever you get it, make sure you can return it if it does not work. I had a difficult time getting the right one to replace the one on my touring, and it has a superseeded part number or something like that because they don't make that one any more so taking the part with you won't help. It was only about $50 though after I made three trips back to the dealer. They had to call someone somewhere to find the right part after I returned it. It took about a week to get it in.

One of the symptoms that the switch it's bad or needs cleaning is that the gear indicator on the dash will not maintain a steady display of the gear your in. It will change for example between N or D even though your in D.

I havent seen one yet cause the car not to start though I suppose it's possible. it does send some type of signal to the Check control module

Saludos -- Mike

Thanks Mike,
I found the switch you described, mine is white, has two 3mm allen screws, and seven wired running out the connector. Red & Green, Green & Black, Blue & White, Brown & White, Brown & Black, Blue & Black, Blue & Green.

I have to remove the shift interlock mechanism in order to remove the forward fastner. There seems to be a shear bolt that won't turn, so I will attempt vice grip pliers to remove the fastner.

I will also check fuse 17 and the relays just in case.
Jim