PDA

View Full Version : 1994 530i Water Pump Replacement

Green Bimmer
08-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Hello Joe here from Orlando with the Green Bimmer

I am replacing my water pump on my 530i. I removed 5 of the 6 mounting bolts but I am having problems removing the bolt behind the Vibration damper. The Bentley manual list step 8 to remove the vibration damper. Can the bolt be removed another way? Can someone give me advise about removal of the water pump from my 1994 530i M60 engine?

http://www.geocities.com/blktlk/GREENBIMMER.html

Tiger
08-05-2006, 06:12 PM
vibration damper comes right off.... take those smaller bolts off on the dampers. It goes on only one way as there is a guide slot.

632 Regal
08-05-2006, 06:29 PM
thats the bolt i told you about, I used an open end wrench and had to keep flipping it 1/32 at a time...i didnt feel like going the damper route.

Green Bimmer
08-06-2006, 10:59 AM
thats the bolt i told you about, I used an open end wrench and had to keep flipping it 1/32 at a time...i didnt feel like going the damper route.
Thanks very much for your reply. Two more questions: The pump is not moving how did you getit out after removing the bolts and how did you get the pump back onto the chasis? One last thing, how do I remove the fan clutch?

winfred
08-06-2006, 11:07 AM
fan clutch is reverse thread and 32mm, you can usually get it off with a good wack of a hammer on the wrench (from the top knock it towards the left side, drivers side in the us) belt tension is usually enough. watch out that you do not pull the tubes that go into the back of the water pump out of the back of the engine, if you do that you may get to pull the intake to replace the seals at the back of the block where the tubes connect to the crossover tube

Green Bimmer
08-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the instructions and the heads up about the tubes. Man I didn't know this could be such a task.

632 Regal
08-06-2006, 11:34 AM
second times easier...

winfred
08-06-2006, 11:36 AM
ain't you on 3rd on the intake :D

second times easier...

Green Bimmer
08-06-2006, 11:46 AM
second times easier...
I am replacing my water pump on my 1994 530i. I received a reply stating to ensure that the tubes does not come out. Is there a problem with those two large tubes coming out of the engine when removing the water pump?

winfred
08-06-2006, 11:54 AM
the tubes run from the front of the motor to the back and are sealed with o-rings, the only thing that holds them in place is when the water pump is bolted in they are sandwidged in place between the pump and rear crossover between the heads one tube is a little bigger then a inch and the other is a little smaller then a inch, they are aluminum pipe and can be easyly slipped out of the pump by hand, if you pull them loose from the back of the motor there is a chance they will leak if you just stick them back in the hole without new o-rings, which are way back under the intake