PDA

View Full Version : 95 525i making a whistling sound from wind

gymkata
07-26-2006, 02:54 PM
The car makes a whistling sound when driving at higher speeds. Can't figure out if it's the sunroof or front windshield. Any ideas on how to isolate the problem . Similar issues?

Yiorgos
07-26-2006, 05:39 PM
I have read somewhere that it could also be caused from missing jack point "blocking" bits. Have a look under the side guards where the jacking points are, there are supposed to be some bits of plastic or rubber covering some holes. If these are missing, air rushes in into the cabin and it sounds like wind noise.

I have this very issue with my car, I haven't bothered to check if what I wrote above is the case with me though.

My wind noise sounds like its coming from the front windscreen, and definitely not from the sunroof.

Jeff N.
07-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Take a look at your door seals as well. They could be pretty tired and ready for replacement.

NovceGuru
07-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Yeah, my car does the same thing at 100+ mph. I, like most people, hate high pitched sounds so it keeps me from doing stupid things ;)

NovceGuru

smcgowan
07-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Check the plastic vent cover that's at the base of the windshield. The plastic fasteners loosen with age and allows wind under to vibrate the piece. I had my brother N law seal it closed with some silicon. No more whistle/rattle.

genphreak
07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Check the plastic vent cover that's at the base of the windshield. The plastic fasteners loosen with age and allows wind under to vibrate the piece. I had my brother N law seal it closed with some silicon. No more whistle/rattle.Urethane on body parts ***only**. Silicon is not to be used on painted metal, it causes water to get under it (soaking into the paint when the area gets wet. Then the silicone prevents the water evaporating and you get RUST, a generally bad thing on any car...

SnakeyesTx
07-27-2006, 01:24 AM
I had a whistle for a while too. Found out my back driver's side window regulator (probably that plastic gear) crapped out and the window was cracked open about 1 mm open. Not enough to let water through, but just enough to whistle. I managed to pull the window the last bit manually and all's been quiet since.