PDA

View Full Version : ball joints, 89' 525

Frank
01-29-2004, 09:45 AM
My mechanic has reported that the ball joints on my 89' 525 are "shot". He also mentioned that to repair this problem both wheel arms have to be replaced. Estimated cost $500, parts and labor. I will be driving this vehicle 4-500 miles a week in the near future. Is this a must do, and is the price reasonable?
Thanks

ryan roopnarine
01-29-2004, 09:48 AM
from this board's supplier of choice, bma, is around 160 for both arms. i'm not sure how he calculates 500, but that is a little rich, to say the least.

Bill R.
01-29-2004, 10:05 AM
one and the upper thrust rod has one.. the price you quoted was only for the upper thrust arms with bushings, I would price all 4 before coming to any conclusions on the price of the job.

DrewZ
01-29-2004, 10:06 AM
If he's replacing upper and lower arms on both sides (with Lemforder-brand parts), then $500 is pretty reasonable. If you're going to put that much mileage on the car, you might as well bite the bullet & get a nice firm, shimmy-free front end.

My mechanic has reported that the ball joints on my 89' 525 are "shot". He also mentioned that to repair this problem both wheel arms have to be replaced. Estimated cost $500, parts and labor. I will be driving this vehicle 4-500 miles a week in the near future. Is this a must do, and is the price reasonable?
Thanks

ryan roopnarine
01-29-2004, 10:16 AM
has each for 85, so roughly 330 to do all four (in parts) from bma, guess that's pretty reasonable if the gentleman's mechanic intends to do all 4 with decent parts. just curious bill, how do you know when the lowers are gone?

one and the upper thrust rod has one.. the price you quoted was only for the upper thrust arms with bushings, I would price all 4 before coming to any conclusions on the price of the job.

Bill R.
01-29-2004, 10:49 AM
a pry bar, its not a lot of movement so you really have to pay attention. Sometimes you'll get popping and other noises from a bad joint when turning the steering wheel also.. If the movement in the lower joint is easily detected then you really have a bad joint.

Frank
01-29-2004, 12:00 PM
his breakdown was $175 for each front arm. $200 for labor. So everyone seems to agree this is a reasonable repair, though possibly exrobitant parts cost.

Bill R.
01-29-2004, 12:12 PM
each side? or are you replacing both the upper and lower on each side. I was thinking both on each side not one.

[QU OTE=Frank]his breakdown was $175 for each front arm. $200 for labor. So everyone seems to agree this is a reasonable repair, though possibly exrobitant parts cost.[/QUOTE]

Frank
01-29-2004, 12:34 PM
He didn't mention anything about upper or lower, just that replacements were required on each side.

each side? or are you replacing both the upper and lower on each side. I was thinking both on each side not one.

[QU OTE=Frank]his breakdown was $175 for each front arm. $200 for labor. So everyone seems to agree this is a reasonable repair, though possibly exrobitant parts cost.[/QUOTE]

ryan roopnarine
01-29-2004, 12:44 PM
you really need to ask him to specify if its the lower or upper control arm. if its the upper, there are beefed up components that you might want to get instead of the stock 525i parts. 175 for each arm is a little rich. the place i specified before, bma, will sell the beefed up uppers for 85 per arm. even though he might be passing more than the actual cost of the part because he is obtaining them, that's a little much to me, IMHO.

Unregistered
01-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Ryan,
thanks for the advice. I just called him up and he said they were the lower arms.

you really need to ask him to specify if its the lower or upper control arm. if its the upper, there are beefed up components that you might want to get instead of the stock 525i parts. 175 for each arm is a little rich. the place i specified before, bma, will sell the beefed up uppers for 85 per arm. even though he might be passing more than the actual cost of the part because he is obtaining them, that's a little much to me, IMHO.

Robin-535im
01-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi Frank,

Usually the upper control arms go first, and you'll know this by the 45-55 mph shimmy and off-ramp-braking shimmy. BMA sells a 750 bushing already pressed into the upper control arms for $80 each side - really a superb price that is unbeatable.

R&R is not too difficult. Many have done it (as you know if you've been reading for a while) and you don't need any special tools beyond what you can rent at a local auto parts place. Bruno and Don Gale both have excellent write-ups that make the job feasible for the uninitiated.

You will save hundreds of dollars by doing it yourself - I suggest trying it if you are even a little interested in doing your own wrenching.

Just my two cents!

- Robin

BMWfreak
01-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Hi guys !
I've been following this topic and was curious about just one thing. After you replace all 4 control arms what about the allignment. You have to take the car to a shop anyways, right ? Than is it possible to carefully drive it to get it alligned or is it necessary to tow it to allignment place ?
Daniel

Bill R.
01-29-2004, 02:17 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/lowerballjoint-1.jpgway too high and you should consider having someone else give you a quote or even do it yourself.. the Lowers are pretty easy to change

Ryan,
thanks for the advice. I just called him up and he said they were the lower arms.

Bill R.
01-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Practice it doesn't usually work out that way.. You should be fine driving it to have it aligned as long as its not more than 20 miles or so....

Hi guys !
I've been following this topic and was curious about just one thing. After you replace all 4 control arms what about the allignment. You have to take the car to a shop anyways, right ? Than is it possible to carefully drive it to get it alligned or is it necessary to tow it to allignment place ?
Daniel

aholloway17
07-14-2004, 08:00 PM
My mechanic said 1,000 to replace entire front end because there is play in the ball joints. There are four Ball Joints I've read. If I change the upper and lower arms on both sides is there anything else I need to do aside from the alignment?

Thanks