PDA

View Full Version : windshield replacement e34 advice / instructions

gymkata
07-07-2006, 01:10 AM
How do you go about changing the windshield on this car?
I can get a new windshield (mines has a little crack in it) for $60 from a local junkyard. Any ideas on the procedure / rubber seals needed?
Anyone have a pictorial / instructions for it?
My car makes a whistling sound when I drive it, I think it's coming from the front of the car somewhere. Maybe this will help??

Nick.Hay
07-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Dad had the windscreen replaced in his 525iA, and the glass itself was only about $200AU... It was the plastic seal thing around the outside that was the killer at nearly $900AU apparently!! They have to break it to replace the screen. I'd get a professional crowd to do the replcement, otherwise you could end up with leaks, broken glass in the heater vents or other nasty things!!

Evan
07-07-2006, 01:22 AM
good advice... it's inexpensive to pay a pro to do this for you

Russell
07-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Does your insurance pay 100 % for glass breakage? Many states require insurance companies to provide it. Check with your agent.

Also, do not try it yourself. It requires a special glue sealant and new clips/spacers. the trim, (about $300) may require replacing.

The whistling sound may be the black plastic trim panels at the bottom of the windshield being loose. Search the archives, there are instructions.

joshua43214
07-07-2006, 05:51 AM
In every repair shop I have ever worked in, we just called a glass person to come a replace windscreen glass. Its one of those things that is just better left to a professional considering they get to take allthe risk on brakeing the new glass, and they can do it properly for not much labor.

RobPatt
07-07-2006, 10:57 AM
....go here.

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/

click on body and interior, then find windscreen replacement.

cheers,
Rob.