PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure light weirdness

AllanS
04-01-2004, 08:35 AM
I've never had any oil pressure issues before- when I start the car, cold or warm, the light comes on for 2 seconds and then it's gone.

This morning, I stopped on an incline at the place where I work, and went to throw something in the mailbox. When I got back in the car- the light was on, and the display said "OIL PRESSURE".

[OH ****]

I drove it up the hill and onto a flat surface, and voila, the light went off.

So I parked it and checked the oil level- absolutely perfect. I then started the car again, and everything was as normal.

So, I'm wondering, is the oil pan simply drained of oil near the pickup, if you're parked on a steep incline, or is something else at play? I can't remember ever being on a steep incline before so it seems somewhat possible.

Thanks!
AS

BMWfreak
04-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Just a couple of days ago I posted similar message, except my m20 525i does it on right hand turns only ?!?!?! I am getting my oil and filter changed as I write and hope that it will go away.
Any ideas why this happens ???
Dan

Javier
04-01-2004, 08:14 PM
M30 has the tendency to damage the check valve in the oil filter canister, letting the oil go back trough the pump, then, when you start the car, it takes some time to turn off the oil warning light. Just open the oil filter canister some time after turning off the engine. There should be oil in there, plenty. If not, you may do some surgery in the valve, or change the whole canister. Think I recently hear that Bruno is working on this issue, check the archives.

632 Regal
04-01-2004, 08:27 PM
besides the check valve. I know the V8s had oil pumps that would loosen up but no clue on your engines. If your engine has worn bearing clearances or leaks upstairs it could be possible that the oil is foamy or not flowing to the pan as fast as its going upstairs (rocker/head area).

Tiger
04-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Oil pump I would suspect... maybe blockage on pickup tube and the checkball related that keeps oil in the passage of oil pump output...

632 Regal
04-01-2004, 08:55 PM
gearheads want to know.

:)

AllanS
04-02-2004, 07:55 AM
hmmmmmmm- that or the oil pump seem most likely. It hasn't done it since, and I've been driving all over creation since yesterday.

What I may end up doing this weekend is putting a pressure gauge on the oil sending unit, and testing oil pressure at various rpm and incline to see if I can recreate it (or determine if it's really an issue and not a faulty sender).

Bruno
04-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Yes the issue was solved with a remote cannister. I still have a couple of kits in stock.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/OilCanister.htm

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Data/Remote1.jpg