PDA

View Full Version : 1989 BMW 735IL worth fixing or not?

densotundra
07-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I have a 1989 BMW 735IL with about 266,800 miles on it and it won't start. Problem was at first, just a clunk in the starter everytime you turn the key you'll hear a clunk and then the starter motor would start to smoke...so i thought it was starter problems, pulled starter out, took it to rebuilt and fixed it, put starter back in, and went to start it, but it vibrated heavily shaking the whole entire front end/possibly flywheel teeth all loose now??. FLYWHEEL problems? Seized motor? Broken flywheel shaft on starter? I really have no clue. After the terrible shaking was over, it just smoothly turns over now, but i think it's not the motor turning over, it's just the starter???? While cranking it, you can see the fan upfront turning, so don't know if it's seized motor or not? Also thought about the timing chain, but I'm unsure....Need help in knowing what's wrong or possibly wrong with it and the cost :( I terribly miss driving it, and love it to death but sticking money into it unsure of....new BMW? ps...it's a 3.5L straight 6 cylinder in this bad boy!!

AllGo'n'Show
07-05-2006, 11:23 PM
My opinion...

1. Find a rep. shop in your area....
2. Tow it down there
3. Get them to inspect and diagonse it *put a limit on it, say if hourly rate is $100 then put a 3 hour cap on diagnosing*
4. they should be able to find out what is wrong within the 3 hours or whatever you set
5. Tow it back home
6. Post on here what the problem found was and then we can show you how tos for fixing, give you suggestions on what to do and point u in the right place for parts.