PDA

View Full Version : Dinan Trany chip-anyone done?

Russell
06-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Anyone recently installed the Dinan Trany chip in a late model 525i such as a 95? Looking for their experiences. Also, is the chip replacement a difficult job as in external to the trany? I think Dinan is selling them at 50% off based on an earlier post last week. TIA

Robert K
06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
All the tranny chips do is make the tranny shift at redline. I can do that with my shifter for free. In fact, if you put in in manual mode, you can actually shift an auto tranny essentially like a manual tranny, since it will only go into whatever gear you have selected with the shifter. When I had my EAT chip in my 1991 535i, I could manually shift at the new 6800 RPM redline anytime I wanted by simply using the shifter. Why pay extra for what you can already do for free??? The money can be spent a lot better in other places if it's burning a hole in your pocket.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Russell
06-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I understand the chip raises shift points as well as firms up shifts in both sport and economy modes. However, all shift points are not raised to redline. At least, that is my understanding.

MBXB
06-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I have a Dina tranny chip. It does raise the shift points. Works great with the EAT engine chip.

Russell
06-20-2006, 05:13 AM
Thanks, Where is the chip located. I assume it is in a controller box. I think it is located under the driver's side kick panel on all or most e34s?? Mine is a 95 525i built 1/95

MTechnik540i
06-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Anyone recently installed the Dinan Trany chip in a late model 525i such as a 95? Looking for their experiences. Also, is the chip replacement a difficult job as in external to the trany? I think Dinan is selling them at 50% off based on an earlier post last week. TIA

http://www.ncaudi.org/gallery/albums/ratedm/swap_it.jpg

RobPatt
06-20-2006, 07:37 AM
but w/a > 10:1 cost, the $100 tranny chip is a nice mod until time comes to "Swap It"....

Think I'm going for the chip also Russell, price can't hurt, I'm thinking the module is in the passenger kick panel..?

http://www.ncaudi.org/gallery/albums/ratedm/swap_it.jpg

Russell
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Dinan says the chip just raises the shift point at FULL throttle in ALL modes. Robert K is correct. No changes at part throttle in economy or sport mode. No changes in line pressure like some later tranys.

Does not sound like any big deal for daily driving. I was hoping for slightly higher part throttle shifting in economy mode as it rushes to get in higher gear a bit too quick for me. I think I might pass-still not sure.