PDA

View Full Version : Door trim - gone.

Rustam
05-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes. I worked on my car today, and suddenly realized that the plastic trim that crosses the door protecting it from being hit in parallel parking is gone... Don't know if someone just decided to take it for their car or it simply fell off. Three of the clips closer to the hinges look fine but two further clips do not. They seem to be deformed as from excessive heat application. I wonder - does the trim occasionally just fall off? Has someone had this experience?

BillionPa
05-29-2006, 02:44 AM
mine is falling off really bad on both sides, the clips are really bad, i need new ones :/

Rob
05-29-2006, 02:58 AM
All trim on mine is still fine. 16 years on and still original trim looking a little scratched but no chance of it just falling off. I would say it was removed with a little force.

onewhippedpuppy
05-29-2006, 04:34 AM
One of mine is a bit loose, someday I may find that it has dissapeared as well.

KenB
05-29-2006, 04:41 AM
I recently noticed the short piece on my right front fender is popped off of one clip closest to the door. I think the clip lost its' grip tension on the strip and can no longer hold it in place but I'm not positive that the strip is the culprit, it seems very stiff. The clip does not look broken. There is another one that is not fitting perfectly flat against the body at one clip point and I suspect the same thing happening there.

Do the strips just pull off of the clips by prying? I was thinking of taking them all off along with the door bottom rubber strips to clean salt and gunk out from under them and replacing clips/strips as needed.

onewhippedpuppy
05-29-2006, 05:00 AM
Seems like I read somewhere that they're a bit tricky to remove. Might want to do some research before you dive in.

KenB
05-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Seems like I read somewhere that they're a bit tricky to remove. Might want to do some research before you dive in.

Thanks, I suspected that was the case and why I didn't try to pull it off already.:D

Scott C
05-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Yes. I worked on my car today, and suddenly realized that the plastic trim that crosses the door protecting it from being hit in parallel parking is gone... Don't know if someone just decided to take it for their car or it simply fell off. Three of the clips closer to the hinges look fine but two further clips do not. They seem to be deformed as from excessive heat application. I wonder - does the trim occasionally just fall off? Has someone had this experience?

Happened to me, the trim pieces rust internally, expand and no longer stay attached to the clips. You might get another year by bending the clip attachment rails in the trim and regluing with a good outdoor glue (I used polyurethane and it lasted a year). They pop off pretty easily once you have the main clip off (which is attached at the factory) and closest to the front of the car - if I remember correctly. The rest stay attached to the car)

BMA will fix you up...

Rustam
05-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Happened to me, the trim pieces rust internally, expand and no longer stay attached to the clips. You might get another year by bending the clip attachment rails in the trim and regluing with a good outdoor glue (I used polyurethane and it lasted a year). They pop off pretty easily once you have the main clip off (which is attached at the factory) and closest to the front of the car - if I remember correctly. The rest stay attached to the car)

BMA will fix you up...

Thank you Scott & everybody else...