PDA

View Full Version : Please Read -> Updated activites for E34 Meet on June 10....

Scott H
05-16-2006, 12:20 PM
All,

I have the final details regarding contest prizes and the two raffles. It is also very important that you help me with determining whether or not the tentative Friday night activity should be pursued....please see the poll to respond.

Each raffle prize is a gift certificate to BMA Auto Parts, a resource we have all come to use, abuse, love, hate, whatever you want to call it. They have been generous to our members in the past, and continue to be generous. They have kept many of our cars on the road.

Contests:
- $25 clean car contest
- $50 worst shape E34 contest
- $50 most original, true to stock contest

Brandon Jurado and I will be the judges of the contests. We feel the contests are pretty self explanatory. Clean car contest is for the most spotless, rustfree, dingfree example that shows up. Worst shape contest is for the car in the worst cosmetic AND mechanical shape. Hopefully if you car is in terrible mechanical shape, you won't be driving it long distance to attend!!! Most original, true to stock contest is exactly that. We want bone stock E34s to be rewarded. If you have 750iL bushings, you are OUT! If you have M5 wheels on your 535, you are OUT! If you have changed your shift knob, you are OUT!

Raffles:
- $50 raffle to be done early on
- $100 raffle to be done later in the day

Upon entering the grove, you will check in. Upon check in, you will receive a ticket. These will be the tickets used to reference raffles winners. You must be present to win the raffle, and you may not win both raffles. We will run the raffles at two different times. We are looking at NOON and 2:30. This is on purpose to encourage people to arrive in time for the group photo shoot, and to stay for a bit.

Friday night:
We are looking at karting at Chicago Indoor Racing. It is not cheap ($80/ea), but it is a LOT of fun, and you are out there for a long time. Three qualifying runs (15 laps each run), and a final race for the top qualifiers (30 laps). In order to give people ample time to arrive in the area, get situated, and make it to the facility in time to get prepped, we are looking at an event start time of 8:00pm. I understand many of you will be tired from a day of traveling, but this is the only way to attempt to include as many people as possible. Also, because of the cost, I would need to place a deposit with the facility. No offense, but since I don't know many of you, I'm not willing to stick my neck out for $1,600ish. I would need to get deposits from those interested. Here is what we are looking at:

Chicago Indoor Racing (http://www.chicagoindoorracing.com/)

"For Parties of Less than 20, we recommend our Grand Prix Package (see page 5 of the attached Planning Guide for grand prix pricing). It is a 2 Hour Event that includes Tournament Style Racing – where it is just your guests racing on the track at that time. It also includes a complimentary $5.00 Food and Beverage voucher good upstairs at Stewart’s Bar & Grille"

Please let me know the interest level ASAP. We can run this event for as few as 9 people, and as many as 20. Because some of us in Chicago have all done this together before, there is a good chance we will be scheduling it, even if we are the only ones racing :D After all, I have to get back at that lightweight **** Brandon Jurado for beating me at my own bachelor party!

Qube
05-16-2006, 02:07 PM
If things fall the way they are, I may be able to sponsor this event ;) NO PROMISES!

Scott H
05-16-2006, 02:21 PM
we're not looking for sponsorhip of this event....and I cannot recall ever soliciting sponsorship.

Stick to your LEDs and cheap tires.

If things fall the way they are, I may be able to sponsor this event ;) NO PROMISES!

bimmerd00d
05-16-2006, 02:26 PM
we're not looking for sponsorhip of this event....and I cannot recall ever soliciting sponsorship.

Whoa whoa whoa, if he can get us all one of those purty purple tickers with butterflies, it might just be worth sponsoring!

bimmerd00d
05-16-2006, 02:41 PM
i'm in for karting. My weight is going to affect this little engine quite a bit lol.

Jay 535i
05-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Why not do the karting on Saturday night? That way we'll know each other better after a day of E34ing, and we won't be as tired as on our travelling days.

Also, if we're gonna go karting, why not go all out? Here's an outdoor track that hosts private parties -- and several pro championship races:

http://www.chicagofun.com/intensekarting/

It's 65 miles from Chicago, but that could be our group drive!

Please?

Qube
05-16-2006, 03:37 PM

Nah you silly. I mean I can 'donate' for it =P Of course if that's not wanted... :) That's of course based on your $1600 number in your post.

Such hostility... or is it humor?

In my books, sponsor means "One that finances a project or an event carried out by another person or group" That's it. No need to be anal about it. Heh.

NB: Now that I think about it, if I can pay for it AND put pretty pink butterflies all over em, my fiancee would be happy lol

Brandon J
05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Haha, there goes Scott again. If you want to donate the funds, then great! Are you sure you will be able to with getting married? I thought signing the marriage certificate was like filing for bankruptcy. lol

The fact that you offered clearly portrays the helpful e34 community.

Anyways, we want to keep this e34 event open to every e34, and free of registration fees in the future. We want to keep the e34 community as supportive and mature as it is. That means I am only going to accept donations for the event from e34 participants as well as certain sponsors that have displayed courtesy and willingness when working with us. Also, if in the end we have a surplus in the budget, then that will get donated to charity.

Nah you silly. I mean I can 'donate' for it =P Of course if that's not wanted... :) That's of course based on your $1600 number in your post.

In my books, sponsor means "One that finances a project or an event carried out by another person or group" That's it. No need to be anal about it. Heh.

NB: Now that I think about it, if I can pay for it AND put pretty pink butterflies all over em, my fiancee would be happy lol

Qube
05-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Haha, there goes Scott again. If you want to donate the funds, then great! Are you sure you will be able to with getting married? I thought signing the marriage certificate was like filing for bankruptcy. lol

The fact that you offered clearly portrays the helpful e34 community.

Anyways, we want to keep this e34 event open to every e34, and free of registration fees in the future. We want to keep the e34 community as supportive and mature as it is. That means I am only going to accept donations for the event from e34 participants as well as certain sponsors that have displayed courtesy and willingness when working with us. Also, if in the end we have a surplus in the budget, then that will get donated to charity.

Well I MAY be happening upon a certain sum of money... no, not winning the lottery, otherwise I'd buy ya all cars! Anyhow, if and when that comes through in the next few days, I don't mind forking $1600 if it means having fun with all you bastards over there. Oh, and I mean 'bastards' lightly heh! Just joking! ;)

Brandon J
05-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Qube,

That sounds generous, but we have to act dependably and swiftly. I have had people promise things for the e34 meets for the past 6 years I have been doing this. Unfortunately we need the deposit this week to lock-in the package and time. I have learned to accept generous offers when I have already received them.

So again thanks for volunteering to underwrite the deposit for karting. If you do happen to come across the money, then you can make a donation online at the www.bimmer.info/~events (http://www.bimmer.info/~events) donation page.

Well I MAY be happening upon a certain sum of money... no, not winning the lottery, otherwise I'd buy ya all cars! Anyhow, if and when that comes through in the next few days, I don't mind forking $1600 if it means having fun with all you bastards over there. Oh, and I mean 'bastards' lightly heh! Just joking! ;)

Qube
05-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Qube,

That sounds generous, but we have to act dependably and swiftly. I have had people promise things for the e34 meets for the past 6 years I have been doing this. Unfortunately we need the deposit this week to lock-in the package and time. I have learned to accept generous offers when I have already received them.

So again thanks for volunteering to underwrite the deposit for karting. If you do happen to come across the money, then you can make a donation online at the www.bimmer.info/~events (http://www.bimmer.info/~events) donation page.

No problem. I'll know before the end of this week. Fingers crossed. Now someone may want to setup a mini swap meet for that day ;)

Brandon J
05-16-2006, 05:08 PM
After doing e34 meets for the past 6 years and extensively looking into every angle coordinating the meet, a Saturday karting event simply will not work well.

It is exhausting walking around on a hot summer day looking at all these cars and talking to the many people of the board. Karting itself is very tiring. The best plan was to host it on Friday night. This also reserves some energy for a safe drive home.

We looked into packages, number of attendees, and a reasonable number commiting to go karting. Thus, we are going to hold the pre-meet karting tournament on Friday at Chicago Indoor Racing. It is a great indoor facility. This facility allows us to kart whether rain or shine and it offers a grill/bar area with pool tables. So those that cannot kart or do not want to, can still hang out with the group and watch.

Why not do the karting on Saturday night? That way we'll know each other better after a day of E34ing, and we won't be as tired as on our travelling days.

Also, if we're gonna go karting, why not go all out? Here's an outdoor track that hosts private parties -- and several pro championship races:

http://www.chicagofun.com/intensekarting/

It's 65 miles from Chicago, but that could be our group drive!

Please?

Brandon J
05-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Qube,

We are celebrating the e34 community. We cannot do everything that people want to do. So, a mini swap meet will take up too much time and counters a hassle free environment. It's another idea we looked into, but have not persued b/c of the experience we hold in hosting e34 events the past 6 years.

We looked into: a drive, paintless dent removal, swap meet, very extensive menu, autocrossing, tech sessions, swapping thrust arms timed contest, etc., etc. Our mission is to have a hospitable e34 meet that is free for the participants. With that, we hold certain boundries such as, time, available venues, and certain activities.

Again, thanks for the suggestion, but we have done our homework. If you do have a suggestion or can definitely help in the future, then feel free to email me at bmwe34events@gmail.com. That way you know I get it.

Due to people's different locations, the best way to help is by donating to the event. Again, a surplus in the budgets gets donated to charity.

No problem. I'll know before the end of this week. Fingers crossed. Now someone may want to setup a mini swap meet for that day ;)

rnrn
05-16-2006, 05:35 PM
$80 to me equals 50 lbs of coated deck screws OR 5g of paint OR a couple boxes of framing nails OR 3 boxwoods OR 2 new locksets for backdoor and garage OR 1 paid parking ticket OR new 6' level OR 100 tooth finishing blade for the miter saw OR new address plate OR someone to fill the dumpster for a full day OR a used lawnmower off Craigslist so...

you guys have a great time and I'll see you Saturday.

Ross

PS Brandon, I need that PC 7424 for real this time- ping me.

Scott H
05-16-2006, 05:40 PM
It was part humor and part serious. 6-12 months ago you were explaining how you could not do things to your car the way you wanted to because you were buying a house and planning a wedding. I am merely being blunt about how silly I think it would be to spend a chunk of change like that in this manner.....as it would have been to ship your car to Chicago for the meet.

Obviously we all do as we please with our cash, but in this instance we can control it. Despite the generous offer, as Brandon said, we'd rather decline for those various reasons.

632 Regal
05-16-2006, 11:08 PM
This sounds like a plan I didnt think about! Is the place big?
So those that cannot kart or do not want to, can still hang out with the group and watch.

bimmerd00d
05-16-2006, 11:18 PM

your sig pic just got me in trouble with the significant other here :p

632 Regal
05-17-2006, 07:59 AM
damn thing gets chicks hot...hope to your benefit :D
your sig pic just got me in trouble with the significant other here :p

Gayle
05-17-2006, 08:46 AM
More likely she thinks that is one of the planned activities at the event. After all, it was a choice in the poll re: karting.

Scott H
05-17-2006, 09:17 AM
The upstairs has a full restaurant/bar and video game/pool area. You overlook the track from up there as well.

There are some virtual tours of the place on their website, which I provided a link to in the original post.

632 Regal
05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Cool, were going to be there. I'll be the guy in a space suit.
The upstairs has a full restaurant/bar and video game/pool area. You overlook the track from up there as well.

There are some virtual tours of the place on their website, which I provided a link to in the original post.

Scott H
05-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Which is not quite enough to make it competitive and fun. We need at least 14 people. Anybody on the fence?

Scott

Gayle
05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Which is not quite enough to make it competitive and fun. We need at least 14 people. Anybody on the fence?

Scott

I am probably in.

Gayle
05-22-2006, 06:10 PM

Scott

I am probably in. I count 8 on the poll. Who are the other 3?

Scott H
05-22-2006, 06:52 PM
and a member from the E34 M5 Yahoo group. Unfortunately I need solid commitments from people on this one, since our deposit will be calculated based on that, and then the whole event will be based on our final number. This is a fairly rigid structure over there but it assures people will not flake on them. My two best friends had to do this for my bachelor party and went through the same ordeal.

I am probably in. I count 8 on the poll. Who are the other 3?

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-24-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm in, Brandon just told me they have giant sized equipment!

Gayle
05-24-2006, 09:25 PM
I was at Dave and Buster's tonight and got motion sickness "driving a Ferrari." I hope this not what I am in for at karting.

Besides that I was totally humiliated at pool a couple of weeks ago. I am imagining that same kind of experience here. At least I won't have the beer handicap at this. You guys have to promise to go easy on me. I keep telling myself that Danica Patrick got her start through karting.

Scott H
05-25-2006, 08:42 AM
It's a matter of being smooth and knowing how to drive the kart....we will give you plenty of tips and tricks if the event gets off the ground.

The karts are tiring. You have to wear a suit and helmet so be prepared to be warm and claustrophobic. The right combo of food and drink should be had well before the event. Leave the junkfood intake and alcohol intake for afterwards. I'm not trying to convince you not to participate...just trying to let you know what to be prepared for. It's not high speed outdoor shifter karting, but it's definitely not the karting you find next to mini-golf courses.

I was at Dave and Buster's tonight and got motion sickness "driving a Ferrari." I hope this not what I am in for at karting.

Besides that I was totally humiliated at pool a couple of weeks ago. I am imagining that same kind of experience here. At least I won't have the beer handicap at this. You guys have to promise to go easy on me. I keep telling myself that Danica Patrick got her start through karting.

paul p (chi-town)
05-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Geez,
Computer goes down for a few days and look what happens.

I'm in.

SOrry, no sig-ot......she's got hell weekend at work.

”Hang up & Drive!” (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
94 BMW 530iT&A 125K, ‘Helga’ ( for sale *sniff* )
92 BMW 325i 125K, ‘Rolf’ ( he’s baaack *whoohoo* hers *sigh* )
91 Volvo 745T 191K, ‘Thor’ ( 13 psi *smirk* no power steering *grunt* )
93 Datsun NX2000 160K ‘Carla’ ( alive & thumpin *uNfff!* )
85 Toyoda MR2 123K ‘Jerry’ ( so fresh and so clean, clean *grin* )
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin.
Kinda makes the ‘Patriot Act’ an oxymoron, eh.......

Scott H
05-29-2006, 05:52 AM
You're in the headcount now. I will be filling out the contract and faxing it in on Tuesday. Looks like we have 14ish....there is a chance we may get them to connect both tracks together so we can race on track #3 (the long tack).

Scott

Geez,
Computer goes down for a few days and look what happens.

I'm in.

SOrry, no sig-ot......she's got hell weekend at work.

”Hang up & Drive!” (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
94 BMW 530iT&A 125K, ‘Helga’ ( for sale *sniff* )
92 BMW 325i 125K, ‘Rolf’ ( he’s baaack *whoohoo* hers *sigh* )
91 Volvo 745T 191K, ‘Thor’ ( 13 psi *smirk* no power steering *grunt* )
93 Datsun NX2000 160K ‘Carla’ ( alive & thumpin *uNfff!* )
85 Toyoda MR2 123K ‘Jerry’ ( so fresh and so clean, clean *grin* )
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin.
Kinda makes the ‘Patriot Act’ an oxymoron, eh.......

joshuagore
06-09-2006, 08:49 AM
I cant WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Josh