PDA

View Full Version : Front Tyre wearing on one side 520I Touring

justineryan
05-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Guys,
The front tyre has been wearing off quite significantly in the last 2 years ( had to changed twice!) and recently has been told that they couldnt do wheel alignment because of some issue with front suspension - they didnt know what could be the reason but said that the machine would not let them carry out the realingnment unless that's sorted. Has anyone come across this? Also, she is taking off to the right quite a bit - feel it a lot on a straight strech of road. Tyres arent cheap so would rather sort out the problem - any advice?
Much appreciated!
justine

Russell
05-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Take it to another front end shop. They apparently do not know what they are doing if they cannot tell you which component has the problem.. it could be a worn or bent suspension component.

e34 front suspension has only adjustable toe-in, not camber and caster. If they are off, parts will needed to be replaced.

joshua43214
05-16-2006, 09:20 AM
First off, find a new alignment shop. The only adjustment possble on your car is toe. If they don't check all of your suspension parts for wear before atempting an alignment they are stealing your money. If they can't diagnose worn suspension parts with the car on the rack, they are flat out incompetant. Even a slow alignment tech will find worn suspension parts faster than you would believe possible. Most alignment shops will try to sell you a repair when something is wrong. Trust me, they make far more money off of replacing parts than performing an alignment.

Read my post here http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19973&page=4 for simple instructions on diagnosing the front end.

Fill out your profile on "user CP" above so we know what you are driving, and where you are, it makes a huge difference inthe replies you get.

Most likely you need control arms. If you are using the same shop for general maintainance, expect every thing to be worn out.