PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I think she need to bleed. Any tips?

Rob
05-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Howzit all,

As per my last thread on my cooling problem. I decided to check the coolan level anyway, it was low, very low. Obviously when I last checked it the problem wasn't there and level was ok.

So I filled it up and cooling was a tiny bit better. Still got got but didn't go to the red as it did last time. So this is telling me she need to be bled.
Now I have the Bentely manual and there's the E34 BMW site. However I would like some extra tips or tricks on this from you guys who have done it a few times. Could you guys please give me some tips on how to do it. Doing it on Sunday this weekend. :)

Many thanks all! :)

peterllo
05-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Howzit all,

As per my last thread on my cooling problem. I decided to check the coolan level anyway, it was low, very low. Obviously when I last checked it the problem wasn't there and level was ok.

So I filled it up and cooling was a tiny bit better. Still got got but didn't go to the red as it did last time. So this is telling me she need to be bled.
Now I have the Bentely manual and there's the E34 BMW site. However I would like some extra tips or tricks on this from you guys who have done it a few times. Could you guys please give me some tips on how to do it. Doing it on Sunday this weekend. :)

Many thanks all! :)

They Bentley manual tells it straight. Just have a few rags on hand bunched up aruond the top to catch the out flow when it starts. Lastly be patient, if the car is cold when you start it takes a while. If you have been driving, be very careful when you loosen the screw so that you don't get a steam burn on scalded by hot coolant.

Are you using the right coolant?

ElSupremo
05-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I like to fill it cold, like the Bentley says, then bleed it hot afterwards. My reasoning for this is to get any air trapped behind the t-stat while doing it cold.
I'll normally try to have the car nose up a little to help, also.
The way I do it is how it is written up on Understeer.com : http://understeer.com/waterpump.shtml
Step #10.
Hope this helps. It's always worked great for my cars.