PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help with other car

clhorton
04-24-2006, 01:21 PM
I am trying to get to the bottom of this problem on my mom's 1997 Ford Taurus LX V6. When I try to rev the engine it stops at around 4500 rpms and hesitates it will not allow it to go any higher and it just sputters and the rpms drop, the engine does not die though it remains steady but just will not allow the rpms to go any higher. The car has had a recent tune up i.e. plugs, filters, wires, etc. etc. I know I probably described this poorly, so if you need anymore info let me know.

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 01:48 PM
was the tune up an effort to fix the same problem? If so look into fuel issues, if it missing or not?

ryan roopnarine
04-24-2006, 01:52 PM
some additional detail would be helpful, like which motor you have. im going to assume that LX means DOHC, but if it isn't, i'd wonder why you'd try to take a pushrod motor past 4500.

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
free reving any engine is asking for destruction.
some additional detail would be helpful, like which motor you have. im going to assume that LX means DOHC, but if it isn't, i'd wonder why you'd try to take a pushrod motor past 4500.

clhorton
04-24-2006, 10:11 PM
The engine is the DOHC 24V Duratec. The tuneup was just a normal tune up the problem was not evident then at the time that the tuneup was done. Ive also made a new observation. It will go above the 4500 rpm when it is at interstate speeds it seems to run fine. The only I'm trying to rev it is just that I was trying to see if the motor was running fine in all ranges. I by no means am trying to dog out a taurus. I hate the car frankly. I have also looked at some other boards and have heard the catalytic converter mentioned. What do you guys think?

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 10:16 PM
free reving an engine shouldnt create much backpressure at all unless completely clogged, check the plugs, maybe the gaps got snarfed during install unless there is another connection issue, doubt its a fuel issue if free reving. My guess is electronics issues.

onewhippedpuppy
04-25-2006, 03:36 AM
Did the problem start right after the tune-up? If so, there's your answer. I would take it back to the shop that did the work. If that's not an option, check all the plugs, check for spark at the wire ends with a tester. Also double check the fuel filter, I wouldn't put it past some techs to install one backwards. Look back over everything they did, see if they forgot to hook something back up, or broke a vacuum line. After a recent experience with a local Ford dealership with my sister-in-law's car, I'm not impressed with Ford factory service.

joshua43214
04-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Many modern cars will not allow free reving over a set RPM. Possible the car is acting as intended since it runs over 4500rpm on the freeway. Had you ever tried to do this before the tune up?