PDA

View Full Version : Well.. I Think It's Touring Hatch Harness Time ;(

Don McAdams
04-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Just got the LIC PLATE LIGHT in the check display in the gauge cluster. Rear hatch Glass (only) release has not worked in about a month or so (on the same harness?). Got the test light out (after a new license plate bulb did not cure the problem, or so I thought...). Test light got a positive signal only when I moved the rear hatch up & down... Hmmmm. I knew it was inevitable. My car just turned 191K, so I knew it would be needed sooner or later. Everything else works on the rear hatch (rear wiper, rear washer, reverse lights, 1 license plate light). I cannot complain, I love this car :)

Question is, I know there are 2 rear hatch harnesses- a left & a right. Which side is needed (or should I do both while I'm in there?) I have already done the 3rd brake light (new) harness, lense assembly, etc about a year ago..

Didn't Scott H have a real nice write up on this?

TIA Guys-

Elekta
04-24-2006, 08:40 AM
It's find and resolder or replace. They sell each side independently, so the choice is yours.

fyi it's 8-12 of labor if an indy is doing it.

If you have headlight adjusters, they throw the lic plate light error too. I gave my old harnesses to Scott H., so he'll have to tell you his success if he even got to it.

I hvae new harnesses and both my lift switches are acting up; I think it's the actuators this time, as I cannot see any wear or unusual rubbing up in the window hinge area.

good luck

Don McAdams
04-24-2006, 04:59 PM
No, it's replace time. I saw what the wires looked like when I did the 3rd brake light harness (scary) there must have been 2-3 breaks in that wire harness, plus the wire is so brittle..... 10-12 hours! I will be doing it myself, no indy for me :D

Do you know which harness controls what on the rear hatch (left or right side one)?

TIA-

Elekta
04-25-2006, 01:29 AM
No, it's replace time. I saw what the wires looked like when I did the 3rd brake light harness (scary) there must have been 2-3 breaks in that wire harness, plus the wire is so brittle..... 10-12 hours! I will be doing it myself, no indy for me :D

Do you know which harness controls what on the rear hatch (left or right side one)?

TIA-
I'll bump this in the hopes that scott will know off hand. I am sure the schema is listed in a wiring diagram. who is our resident wiring guru again?

Scott H
04-25-2006, 05:10 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18989&highlight=touring+wiring

it's in the second post as I could not get the PDF to embed in the first one.

I'll bump this in the hopes that scott will know off hand. I am sure the schema is listed in a wiring diagram. who is our resident wiring guru again?

Don McAdams
04-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks a lot Scott. That is a pretty nice write up. I appreciate the help! ;) Looks like it's the right side harness....