PDA

View Full Version : Cracking sound when turning left

t_marat
04-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Today I started hearing kind of cracking sound when turning the wheel to the left. The sound occurs only when turning the wheel to left, no sound when turning right. It will start only after the wheel is turning to left from the center position. Meaning if turning to left from full right, then there is no sound till the steering wheel passes through the middle.

Yesterday there was heavy rain, it was pouring heavily. Maybe this was the cause?

632 Regal
04-17-2006, 09:33 AM
cant be the rain can it? Try to have someone turn your wheel as you locate the noise, could be the strut bearing but I would think it would do it all the way across.

t_marat
04-17-2006, 09:47 AM
I think the noise is coming from the around the steering box. will clarify tomorrow .

632 Regal
04-17-2006, 11:08 AM
ball joint, steering links etc etc.
I think the noise is coming from the around the steering box. will clarify tomorrow .

t_marat
04-17-2006, 08:02 PM
The noise actually comes whenever I turn the wheel to the left. I was wrong in my first post.
When I first drove off the car in the morning there was no noise. It started again after driving about 15km (9.5 miles). And I sometimes also have a cracking/squeaking noise just when the wheel is about to reach the max turn to the right. It makes no sounds when turning to the right, just when it is about to reach its full turn.

jlcool007
04-19-2006, 09:24 PM
MAKE SURE ITS NOT YOU STEERING LINKS (as in theball joints)

because, mine (the right) broke when i wasdriving in an "enthusiastic" manner....i was only going 20 when it happened and thank god i was turing right so there was not a lot of load on the right wheel (the one that was disconnected) Yeah, make sure its not your balljoints or anythign condusive to your steering- you could possibly die. Not to scare you, but it's one 80 buck fix that can save your life....

if the sound does repeat in a hz fassion (at a set speeed, it constantly clicks at the same rate) it will be a CVD joint on the axel (well, it should be)

-jason

t_marat
04-19-2006, 11:59 PM
The steering ball joints had been replaced 3 months ago. The parts were made by De Part (France) and Optimal KG (was advised to be from Germany). No other brands were available, so had to use these.

Ariel525i
04-20-2006, 07:12 AM
The steering ball joints had been replaced 3 months ago. The parts were made by De Part (France) and Optimal KG (was advised to be from Germany). No other brands were available, so had to use these.

I experienced that cracking sound as well when turning left. It turned out to be a leaking steering gearbox. There should be signs though ( slight puddle under the car). Just had the gearbox changed today and no signs whatsover of the cracking sound on left turns. :-)

t_marat
04-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Does the steering box have its own lubrication or use the fluid inside the power steering system?
I haven't noticed any pools under the car so far.

Ariel525i
04-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Does the steering box have its own lubrication or use the fluid inside the power steering system?
I haven't noticed any pools under the car so far.

Im not to sure, but from what I understood from the mechanic is that it has its own lubrication. The leak is irrepairable, and there are no repair kits (at least for my year model). Thus I am also made to believe that the steering gearbox has its own sealed lubricant.