PDA

View Full Version : 89 535i transmission question.

mvbrian
04-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I have an 89 535i that just lost 1 2 3 and D but Reverse is fine...Whats the problem? Its leaking fluid as well? I just picked the car up at the auction for $1600 + tax and auction fees...total $3200. It has a clean title and is in perfect condition. Should I sell or fix? Does anyone have a used trans for sale. I checked the forum for parts but have no idea what trans isn in the car.

Kalevera
04-01-2006, 02:23 PM
If it's a US car, it has a Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen (ZF) 4hp-22eh. Pretty much specific to the E32/E34 735 and 535 cars. It probably lost forward gears because the A clutchpack blew out. Fairly common, and Winfred has written up a nice summary on how to fix it if you're comfortable pulling and repairing the trans. I'd guess that a shop wouldn't let you out the door for less than a grand on that repair. Search 4hp22 / 4hp-22 on the forums for a lot of information.

I have two of them, actually three, but two that would work in your car, including one that is still under an unlimited mileage BMW labor and parts warranty. PM me if interested.

best, whit