PDA

View Full Version : BMW Transmission Fluid including Shell LA2634

Tiger
03-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Okay guys... I know we have debated for eons on Shell LA-2634 replacements... The Quaker States Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid is the same as Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid. Afterall, they are the same company... both owned by Shell...

Their official documents have stated specifically that these fluids are compatible with Shell LA-2634... take a look at third pages. These fluids are also compatible with Dextrons... I, II and III... so that's practically all BMW.

Best of all is that these fluids are 100% synthetic.

http://www.esscc.com/qs/atf.pdf

http://www.johnryoungco.com/pdf/PZL_MultiVehicleAutomaticTransmissionFluid.pdf

Check the documents for yourself.

Tiger
03-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Okay... a blend... I am sorry... not 100% synthetic. My mistake... which makes me wonder... isn't this stuff Shell LA-2634? Because that is also a blend... hehehe.

Bill R.
03-20-2004, 06:15 PM
specialized fluids and it does not replace these... it replaces the ones that have an x.

Okay... a blend... I am sorry... not 100% synthetic. My mistake... which makes me wonder... isn't this stuff Shell LA-2634? Because that is also a blend... hehehe.

Tiger
03-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Alright... I think you are misreading it... I got a german documents that it said it is compatible with Shell LA2634 and the Esso version ... If it is not compatible, wouldn't they specifically say not compatible? Come-on... do you really expect them to list all different types of fluids so they can "x" it? That would be one huge table. I am going to ask Pennzoil and Quaker State directly. Someone already asked them... but I am going to ask again to get official word.

Bill R.
03-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Alright... I think you are misreading it... I got a german documents that it said it is compatible with Shell LA2634 and the Esso version ... If it is not compatible, wouldn't they specifically say not compatible? Come-on... do you really expect them to list all different types of fluids so they can "x" it? That would be one huge table. I am going to ask Pennzoil and Quaker State directly. Someone already asked them... but I am going to ask again to get official word.

new540iowner
03-20-2004, 10:52 PM
been OK. As I stated in a previous post, the shift quality is very similar to the OEM fluid (i.e you can feel the shifts but not harsh or anything). If I were to do it all over again, I would buy a cheap aftermarket filter with a dealer supplied O-ring and about 8 quarts of Quaker State Multi-Vehicle ATF for the first fluid change. After about 100 miles, I would spring for an SPX/Filtran filter with dealer O-ring and 8 quarts of Redline D4 ATF. The reason I say this is after a couple hundred miles, I'm noticing how spoiled I was with the Redline D4 ATF. It's almost like the Quaker State ATF is an OEM substitute whereas the Redline D4 ATF is a fluid upgrade (the shift quality IS that much better). I'll be switching back to the Redline D4 ATF in a couple weeks.

Tiger
03-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Thank you for your insight... I too want to flush out the system. How much did you pay for the Redline?

new540iowner
03-21-2004, 09:38 AM
$96 for a case of 12 out the door (Redline D4 ATF)

Tiger
03-21-2004, 10:35 AM
That's cheap! Where?

new540iowner
03-21-2004, 11:09 PM
The D4 ATF normally sells for $8/quart and you get a 10% discount if you buy a case. So, depending on your local sales tax rate, you may be able to get it cheaper than I did!

Unregistered
03-21-2004, 11:19 PM
My owner manual said I can't change the transmition fluid in the 540i cause is lifetime. Is that true?.

Tiger
03-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Again... the answer is No... that's not true... There is no such thing as lifetime... Please do a search on archive about this.

Dick Schneiders
03-22-2004, 07:20 AM
procedure for changing it. It is an expensive, semi-synthetic fluid that lasts much longer than the fluid used in the other E34's. However, it is still recommended that it be changed periodically. The interval that seems to be the most recommended is in the 80,000 to 100,000 mile range.

Do a search on this topic.

My owner manual said I can't change the transmition fluid in the 540i cause is lifetime. Is that true?.

Drooby
03-27-2004, 01:48 PM
can you change OEM tranny fluid for a 95 525i M50 with REDLINE?
It wasnt stated as an "approved" fluid but from what i read its much better but will it be that way for the M50 engine?
If this is such a good fluid why doesnt BMW put it onthe approved list?
thanks

rnrn
03-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Or is it not worth it to mess with their engineering and this particular fluid? Ive used it in the past with other vehicles with success.

rnrn
03-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Could this be used instead of the Shell oil? I've used it in other vehicles with great response and would like to change the ATF on my 540. If someone has used the Redline in a 540 I welcome the support or advice or warning.

David Chen
03-27-2004, 09:06 PM
The specified Shell and Esso fluids do not contain an additive that causes the check balls to dissolve. ZF specifies these fluids for a reason.

In the end, is it worth it to save $50-100 on fluids if it means spending $2K on a rebuilt tranny?

Bob in San Jose
03-28-2004, 01:48 AM
I went to Redline D4 a year and a half ago and have loved it.
The original "lifetime" fluid was still in the trans mision at 78K when I bought it. I was having intermittant "Trans Program" messages that were occurring progressively more often. I replaced the filter and refilled with Redline D4 then after 6 months (4K miles) I replaced the filter and refilled with fresh Redline to get the concentration of the Redline up. My "Trans Program" poblems are a thing of the past.

Bob