PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on power steering hoses for a 95 540i

darren540i6
01-28-2004, 01:45 PM
I purchased the car (95 540i) last August and have slowly been work on it over the winter. I dont think I've even put 500 miles on it yet. Anyways, before I purchased the car I had a buyers inpection done at a BMW dealer. One of the things on the inspection was replacing the power steering hoses (the pressure hose, tank to pump hose and tank to cooler hose). I do have leaks. The leaks I can see are both hoses from the power steering canister are leaking. The smaller hose from the canister that runs a short ways is leaking from that attachment. Yes, I have checked the hose clamps and they are tight :) . I see what appears to be fluid that has runs all along the frame rail. My questions and advice I need are: Is this a repair I can do myself or is it best to take it to a shop? If I can do it myself how tuff is it. Has anyone done this that may have some hints? Not much info in the Bentley on the subject for the 540i. Any info and advice would be great and very helpful. Thanks in advance.
P.S. Sorry so wordy

G Feller
01-28-2004, 02:37 PM
PS hoses on the M60 are not for the faint of heart...

http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/messages/57982.html

Either way you go, good luck.

Super90
01-28-2004, 02:54 PM
...back when I was "RC" and not "Super90"

http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/messages/58055.html

NoSpeedLimits
01-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Whew! Thanks for the heads-up. I have been contemplating the job myself...I think I'll stick with topping her off with fluid for the mean time, at least wait till it warms up outside.

I recall reading something about replacing the PS lines with a blue "something or another" lines (help me, having a brain fart). Does anybody have any info on these replacement lines? Where to purchase? Does it make the job easier? The correct name? :)

G Feller
01-28-2004, 04:53 PM
These would be blue aircraft-grade hoses. You would have to get the specs of the hoses you need and have them custom-cut from the appropriate airplane supply source . . . someone else may have that? They won't make the job easier, just should make them last longer (seems like the stock ones on the M60 last roughly four years).

NoSpeedLimits
01-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks! Hopefully someone can and will share their specs. Since changing the hoses is such a pain in the a**, a four year life span is not acceptable to this bimmernut. In-the-mean-time, I'll start doing research on the blue aircraft-grade hoses and I'll be sure to pass along any data I collect. :)

Super90
01-28-2004, 09:40 PM
... the blue hose they are speaking of is silicon, which is much better at dealing with heat than more typical automotive hoses. Heat is exactly the problem here as these hoses run relatively close to the left exhaust headers which eventually take their toll. Consequently, BMW even puts a silver protective sleeve on the hoses in the section that is exposed to the heat the most. As to where one would get silicon hose made up for this application, that seems like a real challenge. I would just stick with OEM on this, in spite of the know issues.

In my earlier post, I am not saying that the P/S hoses are not a DIY item, only that they are a pain to get too and small hands are a big plus. Consult your favorite independent and study the situation really well.

It obviously can be done with hand tools and a floor jack, it's just not the easiest job to tackle right out of the shoot.

darren540i6
01-29-2004, 02:28 PM
I guess I even have more thinking to do if I want to tackle this one. Sounds tuff. All the replies so far have been very helpful. THANKS!

4byr
04-27-2004, 11:56 PM
Did you ever have a chance to get these hoses replaced? I know mine are leaking pretty bad. I want to get this done. I have been replacing things and cleaning up oil leaks like no tomorrow. Now i see power steering fluid leaking. Do you know if there are instructions posted on how to do this?

Bart
04-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Are you sure it is the hoses that are leaking and not simply the clamps? My '90 535ia had constant leaks due to the factory one-use clamps not being adjustable: Over time the hose walls had compressed, but there was no way to tighten the clamps, so the connections leaked. Maybe the situation was aggravated by engine and tranny mounts that were shot--the engine had settled somewhat, putting some tension on the reservoir hose, and further stressing the clamp. Replacement with tightenable stainless clamps made a big difference--the reservoir connections no longer leak. Replacement of the engine & tranny maounts will raise the engine a bit, too, so ~1 inch of each reservoir hose can be trimmed to remove the damaged part, and the clamps will then grip "unused" segments of the hoses.

4byr
04-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately I am sure at least one of the hoses has given up the ghost. The connection at the top resevoir is clean with new clamps. I think the hose is sitting so close to the exhaust that it has been baked to the leaking point. I am wondering now that I really didn't have an oil leak after all. It was power steering all along. The fluid didn't really smell sweet and wasn't red in the past. The block was dirty and I think combined with road dirt and some minor leak to create what appears to be a bad oil leak. I just replaced the motor mounts. The driver side is soaked and it hasn't even been started or driven yet. This fluid is definately power steering fluid and it is near the head on the driver side. If I were to start this thing I have a feeling it would be an absolute quagmire underneath and on top. If it leaks sitting static imagine with pressure. I need some directions to replace it. Do you know anyone that has done this? What is needed?

Rich

632 Regal
04-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Both the links do not work...any others that do?