PDA

View Full Version : Stock amp important for radio reception?

Kennan
01-28-2004, 01:04 PM
I read that the stock amp has a role in radio reception which would suffer if the stock amp is removed. Is this true?

I'm about to put in a new system and was wondering if I should leave it in.

boboli57
01-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Not sure about the original question at hand, but I'm wondering if people have had problems with the stock amp. My left rear speaker is completely silent and my right front (can't tell if it's all three or just the kickboards) cut in and out.

I might eventually need help replcaing all speakers. But, if anyone has had similar problems with the stock amp, please let me know.

Kennan
01-28-2004, 01:26 PM
I thought my speakers were dying as well, but then I changed my headunit and the sound improved a great deal. I suggest you do the same.

George M
01-28-2004, 02:12 PM
there is a thin white wire that comes off the car harness (switching via the radio volume on/off) that powers both the amp and power antenna which is integral to the rear defogger. If you disonnect your amp be sure to keep switching power to your powered antenna in the rear glass.
HTH,
George

Kennan
01-28-2004, 03:18 PM
there is a thin white wire that comes off the car harness (switching via the radio volume on/off) that powers both the amp and power antenna which is integral to the rear defogger. If you disonnect your amp be sure to keep switching power to your powered antenna in the rear glass.
HTH,
George

I'm a bit confused, what do I connect this wire to?

Also which wire do I use for the remote turn on for my aftermarket amps?

John 535is (Sydney)
01-28-2004, 05:03 PM
HTH,
George

My head unit was changed by the previous owner, reception on the radio is poor, and the defogger does not work. Could all this be related to the same problem, and what should I do

John 535is 1989 (Sydney)

George M
01-28-2004, 07:47 PM
don't know if there is linkage between your defogger not working and poor reception...but possible...would have to check respective wiring diagrams in the back of Bentley. No mystery about the thin white wire that is part of the car's harness...simply a switching +12V hot that works off the radio volume on/off knob.
Turn the radio on and the thin white wire becomes hot and powers both the amp in the trunk and the power antenna that is integrated into the defogger. You may want to pull your radio and see if this connection were made properly. Quite common for an aftermarket radio be installed and miss this step. Bentley should show the white wire that connects to both remote amp and antenna.
HTH,
George

MikeV
01-28-2004, 08:07 PM
The PO had a dog (you should have seen the sorry state of the leather!), who apparently scratched most of the defogger traces....
I made the mistake of trying to repair the scratches with a copper/silver-epoxy kit.... unfortunately this introduces a great amount of noise in the radio reception when the defogger is on....

Kennan
01-28-2004, 08:07 PM
No mystery about the thin white wire that is part of the car's harness...simply a switching +12V hot that works off the radio volume on/off knob. Turn the radio on and the thin white wire becomes hot and powers both the amp in the trunk and the power antenna that is integrated into the defogger.
HTH,
George

From the beginning, I was planning to use the white wire as the remote turn on. From your previous post, you make it seem that power needed to be supplied to the white wire itself so I was a bit confused.

Sorry for all the questions, but do I use the white wire as the remote turn on or do I need to supply 12v to this white wire?

RobPatt
05-02-2004, 02:55 PM
new head unit probably has a blue wire which is not connected, typically used for remote turn on of an external amp.... take this blue wire....
... find the white wire in your factory radio harness.... connect the blue wire to it..... that will give your antenna amp power and greatly increase radio reception.... I'm using that white wire for the antenna amp (as should be) and will use to remote turn on a powered sub (infinity basslink)... my stock amp is GONE, I've got new head unit, and infinity kappa components in front... rear infinity basslink soon to come.

hope this helps.

Javier
05-02-2004, 07:15 PM
My car has a "Bavaria C professional RDS", it came with a head unit, a 6 Selektion CD Changer and an AMP/Radio Receiver unit at the right side of the trunk. Yes, if I remove the stock amp, I'm removing together the radio receiver.

Regarding some post about silent speakers, I spend some time with some trouble on my driver door twitter, it was going in and out depending on the road bumps. I finally notice that the problem was inside the stock AMP. There was a board inside it, plugging at 90 degrees in the mother board of the AMP, that got one pin having trouble in its connection, so I decided to solder it, only a couple of them pins looking weak. Anyone will notice the type of connection is easy to solder. The problem was vanished up to now.