PDA

View Full Version : BMW Coolant and Camshaft seal question

BMWfreak
01-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Hi Guys !
I am preparing to change the timing belt in my (M20) 525i and I am looking for BMW coolant, is there a place online to buy it or do I have to go to BMW dealer ???? Also when replacing the belt is it neccesary to replace the camshaft seal ??? www.bmwe34.net puts it on the parts list but the guy who is helping me with the replacement didn't mention it, I am confused.
Thanks,
Daniel

632 Regal
01-28-2004, 01:09 PM
you can get it at BMA auto online however its not woth the shipping if thats all you order. other than that your local BMW dealer charges about the same without shipping.

rbeaud
01-28-2004, 01:58 PM
I would (and did) replace the seal during a timing belt change. Mine was very hard and dry from many years use. It's not that expensive to buy. Just be sure to carefully remove the old seal so as to avoid damaging the sealing area. You can polish the old seal area with some crocus (sp) cloth.

Cheers,

Roland

Hi Guys !
I am preparing to change the timing belt in my (M20) 525i and I am looking for BMW coolant, is there a place online to buy it or do I have to go to BMW dealer ???? Also when replacing the belt is it neccesary to replace the camshaft seal ??? www.bmwe34.net puts it on the parts list but the guy who is helping me with the replacement didn't mention it, I am confused.
Thanks,
Daniel

Bruno
01-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Change the waterpump also if you haven't changed it already.

You might also want to change all the belts (alternator, A/C and power steering) while you are at it because you will have to remove them.

Other than that... get some good cleaner.

BMWfreak
01-28-2004, 02:59 PM
I just bought everythhing I need from BMA. Timing belt, tensioner, V-belts, water pump and all the seals. I am happy because they saved me quite a bit of money, ggreat place to buy parts. All I need now is to buy collant from the local BMW dealer. Here is my question how much of it do I need for M20's cooling system ???
Dan

rbeaud
01-28-2004, 11:02 PM
I just bought everythhing I need from BMA. Timing belt, tensioner, V-belts, water pump and all the seals. I am happy because they saved me quite a bit of money, ggreat place to buy parts. All I need now is to buy collant from the local BMW dealer. Here is my question how much of it do I need for M20's cooling system ???
Dan

winfred
01-28-2004, 11:09 PM
if water pump is GEBA brand id exchange it, they suck, the bearings crap out usually in a year or less, we had to eat a lot of water pump jobs because of those turds, m50/20/30 all have died not just one model of pump, the one on my 90 325is took a dump with 37k miles on it in just over two years

jplacson
03-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Ok, planning a timing belt chage soon too... what parts NEED to be changed if this is done? Is it just the blet and seals? If my coolant is new, do I need to throw it all out and get new coolant?

I checked bmwe34.net, but do I need to change those parts? Or is it just recommended since it'll save time?

TimGinCentralNJ
03-09-2004, 01:19 PM
if water pump is GEBA brand id exchange it, they suck, the bearings crap out usually in a year or less, we had to eat a lot of water pump jobs because of those turds, m50/20/30 all have died not just one model of pump, the one on my 90 325is took a dump with 37k miles on it in just over two years

winfred
03-09-2004, 10:46 PM
i wouldn't waste the money on a reman pump, what do you save $10-20? and when it takes a dump sometime in the next year you have a nice lifetime warranty so you get plenty of practice replacing it, i get a lot of customers who got tired of replacing lifetime warranty parts that come to us and get a factory part.

as for what to change on a m20 t-belt job, belt, tensioner roller and a water pump, if you feel lucky skip the pump, i like to at least change it every other belt, but if it goes you get to do 80% of the same work to go back in and do it. generally the oil seals are ok on bimmers, the front crank seal is a bitch because the 22mm bolt is so tight it usually takes 3/4 drive tools to remove it and a way to keep the engine from turning

bal3056
03-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Question on timing belt for M20. How long will it last, meaning how many kms/mls would it go before replacement. Here, in Malaysia, we are told to replace it every 40,000 kms which i feel is way too short a time. My other cars, Honda, Merc need timing belt replacement every 80,000 kms.
Is this true ?

H Mayer

bal3056
03-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Question on timing belt for M20. How long will it last, meaning how many kms/mls would it go before replacement. Here, in Malaysia, we are told to replace it every 40,000 kms which i feel is way too short a time. My other cars, Honda, Merc need timing belt replacement every 80,000 kms.

On coolant, we use bmw coolant from Germany. But the combination is not 20gal coolant/20gal distilled water. The mechanics here use tap water with just 1 or 2 litres of coolant. How will it affect my engine cooling system. No overheating so far in our hot tropical climate.

H Mayer

Hector
03-10-2004, 09:47 AM
twice in the 6 years I've owned my m30.

jplacson
03-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Well, it's supposed to be about 80,000km... but most people recommend 70,000 or even 60,000km. Just to be safe. 40,000km does seem a bit too short a time though.

Warren N.CA
03-10-2004, 11:58 AM
they must be removed to change the timing belt.

Ok, planning a timing belt chage soon too... what parts NEED to be changed if this is done? Is it just the blet and seals? If my coolant is new, do I need to throw it all out and get new coolant?

I checked bmwe34.net, but do I need to change those parts? Or is it just recommended since it'll save time?

winfred
03-10-2004, 01:23 PM
i do them every 50k miles, not sure how that converts, as for coolent mix straight water cools best but has no corosion protection, coolent helps raise the boiling point also, i run a 50/50 mix but i wouldn't be worried about a lower ratio, as long as it looks good and green and it doesn't get too cold in winter

On coolant, we use bmw coolant from Germany. But the combination is not 20gal coolant/20gal distilled water. The mechanics here use tap water with just 1 or 2 litres of coolant. How will it affect my engine cooling system. No overheating so far in our hot tropical climate.

H Mayer

G Feller
03-10-2004, 01:38 PM
i do them every 50k miles, not sure how that converts, as for coolent mix straight water cools best but has no corosion protection, coolent helps raise the boiling point also, i run a 50/50 mix but i wouldn't be worried about a lower ratio, as long as it looks good and green and it doesn't get too cold in winter

TimGinCentralNJ
03-10-2004, 03:24 PM
...when I replaced my pump a few weeks ago, it was a spur-of-the-moment decision (read as: hadn't ordered any of the parts yet), so when I called my stealer, he quoted me $118. When I got there, it rang up as only $68 (a substantial savings). Upon inquiring, I was told they only had re-man'd OEM pumps in stock (the jack-ass I spoke with had quoted a "new" pump even tho they didn't have any) and that they've had excellent luck with them. Those friggin' a-holios.

If I have to replace this damn thing (along with all the belts) again in a year or less, it's going through their showroom window.

Thanks for your feedback Winfred!

Tim G.
'91 535iM

i wouldn't waste the money on a reman pump, what do you save $10-20? and when it takes a dump sometime in the next year you have a nice lifetime warranty so you get plenty of practice replacing it, i get a lot of customers who got tired of replacing lifetime warranty parts that come to us and get a factory part.

as for what to change on a m20 t-belt job, belt, tensioner roller and a water pump, if you feel lucky skip the pump, i like to at least change it every other belt, but if it goes you get to do 80% of the same work to go back in and do it. generally the oil seals are ok on bimmers, the front crank seal is a bitch because the 22mm bolt is so tight it usually takes 3/4 drive tools to remove it and a way to keep the engine from turning