PDA

View Full Version : Help: e34 Lowering Springs and Struts??

E34 530
02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey guys, I need to find some lowering springs and struts quick for my 94 530 as quick as possible. I was going to get Vogtlands, but I heard that they aren't good to use on the V8's. Is this true?? What kind of springs/struts do you guys have on you e34 V8's?? Where did you get them and how much did you pay?? Also post how the ride is with each combination. Some of the roads in NJ are pretty bad, that's why Ineed to know. Any help is greatly appreciated because I need this pretty quickly. I did a search, but mostly everything is for the 6 cylinder models.

dacoyote
02-27-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.bmw4life.com/shocksSpringsGuide.htm

632 Regal
02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
if I had a chance I would like to try the //M springs, they sit higher and would probably be a better choice for the V8.

I have Eibach springs and Bilsteins, ride is firn and will bottom on potholes...not to bad all around though.

E34 530
02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
http://www.bmw4life.com/shocksSpringsGuide.htm

I've looked at that site about 1,000 times, but all the kits seem to be for the 6 cylinder models. I just want to hear some actual testimony from V8 owners. I really want to get Vogtlands, but I heard they aren't too good for the V8.

E34 530
02-27-2006, 03:20 PM
if I had a chance I would like to try the //M springs, they sit higher and would probably be a better choice for the V8.

I have Eibach springs and Bilsteins, ride is firn and will bottom on potholes...not to bad all around though.

Thanks Regal, I was looking for your input the most. I generally know what "bottoming out" is, but you explain what it exactly means. Isn't there different versions of the Bilstein's such as the sports?? Do you have the sports and the Eichbach prokit??

632 Regal
02-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I got them from BMA, when I called and talked to Patrick the H&Rs were on backorder. Previous to them I tried the Bavauto springs and the front would CONSTANTLY bottom in the front, they would probably be okay in a 6 cyl car but I read they bottom a lot there too.

I looked but couldnt find any different spring numbers for the V8 cars.

Thanks Regal, I was looking for your input the most. I generally know what "bottoming out" is, but you explain what it exactly means. Isn't there differnt versions of the Eibach's such as the Prokit and the sports?? Are yours the ones from the BMW4Life website??

E34 530
02-27-2006, 03:33 PM
I got them from BMA, when I called and talked to Patrick the H&Rs were on backorder. Previous to them I tried the Bavauto springs and the front would CONSTANTLY bottom in the front, they would probably be okay in a 6 cyl car but I read they bottom a lot there too.

I looked but couldnt find any different spring numbers for the V8 cars.

Thanks, I don't think I would ever get the Bavauto springs because of all the complaints and I just generally hate Bavarian Autosport. I'm thinking of Bilstein sports and the Eibach Prokit. What do you think??

632 Regal
02-27-2006, 03:33 PM
there was a set of //M springs on ebay last week, dont know if their still out there or not. I wanted to get em but lost track.

E34 530
02-27-2006, 03:37 PM
there was a set of //M springs on ebay last week, dont know if their still out there or not. I wanted to get em but lost track.

Do the //M springs lower the car as much as other lowering springs?

632 Regal
02-27-2006, 03:42 PM
no they dont but remember the V8 will drop the front more than the//M, I think they would be a great choice personally.

look at peoples //M cars in their signatures.

Do the //M springs lower the car as much as other lowering springs?

dacoyote
02-27-2006, 03:56 PM

check Im

E34 530
02-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Do you think I should go with the 3 or 9mm spring pads? I was going to go with the 9mm pads with the Vogtland springs, but the Eibach springs only drop the car 1.2 inches, so do you think the 3mm ones will be alright without rubbing?

632 Regal
02-27-2006, 04:14 PM
i wish they made thicker ones with the Eibachs. Did you get Dacoyotes pm Link to Ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8040737264&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT

Do you think I should go with the 3 or 9mm spring pads? I was going to go with the 9mm pads with the Vogtland springs, but the Eibach springs only drop the car 1.2 inches, so do you think the 3mm ones will be alright without rubbing?

E34 530
02-27-2006, 04:18 PM
i wish they made thicker ones with the Eibachs. Did you get Dacoyotes pm Link to Ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8040737264&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT

No, it didn't come up on my computer. Is it necessary to change all of these parts? I don't really have any of those symptoms.

brodee
02-27-2006, 04:50 PM
You can buy the springs off my 540-6. They drop the car .8" in the front and .4" in the rear. They were replaced a little over a year ago with new parts. I'm taking them off to go with Vogtlands.

E34 530
02-27-2006, 04:57 PM
You can buy the springs off my 540-6. They drop the car .8" in the front and .4" in the rear. They were replaced a little over a year ago with new parts. I'm taking them off to go with Vogtlands.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a little more of a drop and a sportier feel for the car. Your putting Vogtlands on your 540? I heard it wasn't good to put them on a V8. I don't know if this is true though. What kind of struts are you going to be using btw?

brodee
02-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a little more of a drop and a sportier feel for the car. Your putting Vogtlands on your 540? I heard it wasn't good to put them on a V8. I don't know if this is true though. What kind of struts are you going to be using btw?
Where did you hear that? Peter runs them on his 540 and loves them. I've never heard anything bad about them on a V8.

E34 530
02-27-2006, 05:14 PM
I read it on this board a few days ago, but I can't find it now. Do you have a part # for the Vogltands or know what kind to get, I originally wanted them to begin with. Also, what kind of struts are you going to be using?

brodee
02-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I read it on this board a few days ago, but I can't find it now. Do you have a part # for the Vogltands or know what kind to get, I originally wanted them to begin with. Also, what kind of struts are you going to be using?
Check with Peter - PmlMotorsports (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/member.php?userid=1710) he sells them and runs them on his 540, he'd be a great source for you to get the info you need.

I would recomend that you NOT use the 3mm pads with them though. They dropped my 525 way down and I can imagine the extra weight of the V8 would push it even further.

I already have a new set of Bilstein sports on mine that I'll use with the Vogtlands.

Qube
02-27-2006, 07:47 PM
The Vogtlands do not differentiate between 525/530/535/540/touring/sedan. On that note, you may find that unless you have some really accomodating struts, it may be a very harsh/low low ride in a v8.

DanDombrowski
02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Jeff,

You say that you have the bilsteins, and that they are "firm". Alot of people say that the ride is harsh with the bilsteins, but how would you compare it to a new car?

What I'm getting at is that the car's shocks have 160k on them. Aren't OEMs going to seem firm? Is it better than an old saggy suspension?

I mean, firm **** are better than soft and saggy ones, right?

Rustam
02-28-2006, 04:04 AM
Hey guys, I need to find some lowering springs and struts quick for my 94 530 as quick as possible. I was going to get Vogtlands, but I heard that they aren't good to use on the V8's. Is this true?? What kind of springs/struts do you guys have on you e34 V8's?? Where did you get them and how much did you pay?? Also post how the ride is with each combination. Some of the roads in NJ are pretty bad, that's why Ineed to know. Any help is greatly appreciated because I need this pretty quickly. I did a search, but mostly everything is for the 6 cylinder models.

so, is bilstein considered to be "old school" now?

Rustam
02-28-2006, 04:05 AM
Jeff,

You say that you have the bilsteins, and that they are "firm". Alot of people say that the ride is harsh with the bilsteins, but how would you compare it to a new car?

What I'm getting at is that the car's shocks have 160k on them. Aren't OEMs going to seem firm? Is it better than an old saggy suspension?

I mean, firm **** are better than soft and saggy ones, right?

That really depends on the taste...