PDA

View Full Version : disturbing front end vibrations

angrypancake
02-12-2006, 05:14 PM
When I am cruising on the highway, which is usally between 80 and 90mph, traffic depending, I have started to develop this violent vibration when I let off the accelerator. There is no real set speed at which this occurs, and my only indicator is my guzzle-o-meter. When it reads just a tiny bit over 15mpg. The whole front starts shaking dramatically, it feels almost like the whole front axle is going to fall apart. It happens most often on entering the highway, accelerate to speed, and then back off a bit to settle into traffic. But then I am forced to keep accelerating a bit or decelerate, and get away from whatever position the accelerator pedal is in that results in my getting ~15mpg. Yesterday when I was driving home I got caught in a slow pocket of traffic and couldnt get away from that position, and it was scary as hell. I'm sorry this post is vague, but its about all I can tell. I have kept up with the front end parts, from control arms, sway bar links, tie rods, idler arms, etc etc. Oh, and it happens with the cruise control on also. Ugh.

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 05:23 PM
wheel imbalance its going to be at a set or within a narrow range of speed.. since you seem to have it within a pretty wide range I'd look at those thrust arms again and all the other front end components that you've replaced to see if something wore prematurely or broke.

When I am cruising on the highway, which is usally between 80 and 90mph, traffic depending, I have started to develop this violent vibration when I let off the accelerator. There is no real set speed at which this occurs, and my only indicator is my guzzle-o-meter. When it reads just a tiny bit over 15mpg. The whole front starts shaking dramatically, it feels almost like the whole front axle is going to fall apart. It happens most often on entering the highway, accelerate to speed, and then back off a bit to settle into traffic. But then I am forced to keep accelerating a bit or decelerate, and get away from whatever position the accelerator pedal is in that results in my getting ~15mpg. Yesterday when I was driving home I got caught in a slow pocket of traffic and couldnt get away from that position, and it was scary as hell. I'm sorry this post is vague, but its about all I can tell. I have kept up with the front end parts, from control arms, sway bar links, tie rods, idler arms, etc etc. Oh, and it happens with the cruise control on also. Ugh.

632 Regal
02-12-2006, 05:57 PM
definetly need to inspect, something may have gotten loose. could be dangerous!
wheel imbalance its going to be at a set or within a narrow range of speed.. since you seem to have it within a pretty wide range I'd look at those thrust arms again and all the other front end components that you've replaced to see if something wore prematurely or broke.

angrypancake
02-12-2006, 06:10 PM
All those components were replaced in August and September. I'll have a look in a couple days when there isn't a ton of snow out there. Thanks guys.

Zeuk in Oz
02-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Might be a long shot but you haven't (over)adjusted your handbrake recently ?

I got severe fore/aft vibrations in the whole car at approx 100 km/h when my mechanic had over-adjusted the handbrake - impossible to tell where it was coming from.

RobPatt
02-12-2006, 07:16 PM
maybe that thing.... else something not torqued under load? i hear the folks who get snow or mud could have a wad of dried gunk in the back of a wheel throwing off balance..? good luck. me, still need to just to tie rods and think I got a spot on a rotor w/some sort of "extra" friction... dunno. cheers anyway - Rob.

ryan roopnarine
02-12-2006, 07:30 PM
.........don't ask how i know.
if, you've been honest with us about the parts you've replaced, and your wheels have a modicum of balance, AND you can do your own repairs....
collar nut, or strut mounts, check them.

ryan roopnarine
02-12-2006, 07:36 PM
80-90 mph is 2x wavelength of 40-47 mph or so.

i'd bet that its a strut problem rather than an arm/wheel/tire problem.

i know that 40-47 by experience, i'd put money on all of those *.arm components being fine.

angrypancake
02-12-2006, 07:37 PM
....i'm really tempted to ask.

but no, i've definitely been honest, i have the bill for all the repairs, dated July 26, 2005. control arms and bushings, tie rods, idler arm, thrust arm, among other things. total? $1039.97. Yeah, that's when I had to buy a Bentley and start doing stuff myself.

Thanks guys for the stuff to check out, I'll definitely get on it.