PDA

View Full Version : k=6295 on speedo, whats that mean

cschollum
02-11-2006, 11:28 AM
im after a replacement speedo, the new one has everything the same including the 140mph top measurment, but the writing at the bottom of the speedo differs from mine, which says k=6295 - what does this mean?

liquidtiger720
02-11-2006, 11:35 AM
no clue...sorry.

does it work?

Mitch90535im
02-11-2006, 11:45 AM
At first glance I thought it might be a miles to kilometers conversion factor but that is something more like 0.621371192

Jay 535i
02-11-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't think it means anything.

shogun
02-11-2006, 12:39 PM
The K-Zahl. This has something to do with the speedometer correction as it's completely electrical on the new clusters
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/299960/k-zahl.jpg

Bill R.
02-11-2006, 03:21 PM
case it won't work, it will have the coding plug in the back of the cluster not in the harness like yours does. They aren't interchangeable.

havent got it yet, wasnt going to unless i know it will read the same

Bill R.
02-11-2006, 03:55 PM
don't matter, the data you see being displayed is from the coding plug anyway and your going to have to use your old coding plug with the new cluster. The coding plug contains all the info that determines what model its for and what options are on it.

nope, its exactly the same apart from that number, it has a grey back, same as mine and a plug in coding plug thats part of the brown plug...

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 12:12 AM
books/manuals/documents/files and i found it! and i'm not gonna tell you
nanny nan nah.... however i will tell you enough to help you... No you cannot use it if it has a different set of numbers on the face of the speedo. It must have the same set of numbers....

ok thats understandable, but how would you explain the different numbers on the speedo face, the k number?

Bill R.
02-12-2006, 12:22 AM
an *******. My initial post referring to the k numbers was in reference to the image that shogun had posted when you do the self test.. This is what i thought you were referring to. I later found a different post from you where you posted a link to Johan's picture of the speedo itself and the writing on the face and then realized thats what you're talking about. The style that shogun had posted is changed strictly by replacing the coding plug as i referred to.

what a laugh Bill, i got completly slated for suggesting that you were wrong, now in the space of 2 disscussions, youve told me 2 lots of bad advise...i hope people read this and make me an appology

so now youre saying that you were wrong in saying that the k numbers are overrulled by whats in the coding plug and the number on the speedo does actually mean something as i was saying all along?

Bellicose Right Winger
02-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I explained the "k" to you a while back. What part of it didn't you understand? Or didn't you bother to check the threads you had started? BTW, Bill's k of 7295 works out to 9 pulses per revolution of a tire with a rolling diameter of 24.88".

You are clearly way over your head in this repair and yet aren't smart enough to figure out that getting mouthy with the knowledgable and willing-to-help members of this board won't solve your problem.

Perhaps you should follow the advice you recently offered another.......

....sell the car mate...to someone a little brighter.