PDA

View Full Version : Vibration when i brake

ve39
02-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey guys I have a huge vibration in my car when i brake. It's not always vibrates usually when i push lite on the brake pedal. it goes left and right very fast.
any one know what could be wrong
Thank You

shogun
02-06-2006, 11:48 PM
SHIMMY @ 80mph – likely culprits

Check the following in this order:

1) Wheel alignment by a recommended mechanic (dynamic balancing)

2) Check your brake pads!

3) Check thrust arm bushings. (Some call them upper control arms). Bushing can go after several thousand km’s

4) Replace/check tie-rod center, and Left & Right tie-rods

5) Check Struts / Shock absorbers while your there.

6) Sometimes (rarely) disks are warped – replace them (machining is just as expensive if not more).

Hallmark
02-07-2006, 09:31 AM
It's ususally a combination of things. Worn parts as Shogun mentioned have a lot to do with it, but I found that simply adjusting the tension in the steering box eleminated about 90% of the shimmy when braking. After that I was able to inspect it to see what parts were indeed wearing out.

Do a search on steering box. It's a very simple procedure and costs nothing.

Bimmer93
02-18-2006, 03:10 PM
My thought are bad rotors I just replaced mine and it corrected it. Keep in mind you might not feel the vibration at first BUT when the Rotors heat up you'll really feel it.

DBU
02-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Hey guys I have a huge vibration in my car when i brake. It's not always vibrates usually when i push lite on the brake pedal. it goes left and right very fast.
any one know what could be wrong
Thank You

Your symptoms are classic warped rotors. You need to either buy new ones or have a shop "turn" them.

ve39
02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Thx alot guys i will check those things out. i think it could be rotors my self as if i press pedal just a tiny bit and if i press a pedal hard i get no vibration but if i press the bake pedal in between that's when i get that vibration, when it starts i usually let go of the pedal or brake a little harder and it stops.

OmarFarouq
04-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Dear,

I think the problem is with front Flanges, the need to be either re-surphased or replacing them, ofcourse this after checking the chest.

CharlesAFerg
04-18-2006, 06:03 AM
Interesting, when I brake I don't have any sort of violent shake but it seems as the brakes go around there is a spot that it slows down on for a brief second, every time it passes over. So for example I will brake, and it will happen, but the slower I go, the slower the repetition. I was going to check my pads and everything this week.

AllGo'n'Show
06-21-2006, 07:29 PM
beginning of warped rotors for you bud, get them machined or replaced, still in early stages so u may be able to machine them depending on thickness.

Whats the best way to check for worn out bushings? Something noticeable?

I just replaced my left front low control arm, bad ball joint, replaced the whole thing. Still have VERY violent shaking when braking or hitting bumps. Rotors were just turned becuase I thought that was the problem, along with new pads.

Any ideas??? Need this fixed soon, feels like my wheel is going to fly off anytime now.

MDLeers
06-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Go back to Shogun's post and start from there. You only replaced one thrust arm, or control arm? There are four, all told and you have the tie rods and center link, too. Rotors would be the last thing to refurb after you are sure all of the aforementioned are solid. But rotors are a contributor to this problem.

AllGo'n'Show
06-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Whoop forgot to post again

Delayed update:

Got pissed off the next day, ordered 2 more new control arms *noth lowers new now, left upper is old, right upper is new, and 2 new upper control arm bushings, pressed the new bushings in, all came with new ball joints except for the old control arm so that was basically covered.

Majroity of the vibration is now gone, all violent and life threatening feeling is gone after that.

I know have vibration when I brake but have pretty much narrowed that back down to the rotors, warped before, machined *weakened*, new pads, but the old suspension. When I stop now you can hear it and feel it grabbing mor eon one part of the rotor, took the left wheel off today and just turned the rotor and you could feel it was looose in one part and warped in another. So 99% sure new rotors + pads will fix the shimmy, then big brake kit is in order :)