PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod Link End Question

bjl4776
01-28-2004, 12:20 AM
Im replacing the front right suspension on my 92 525i after an unfortunate incident with a curb. Everything was going almost to perfect until i got to but the steering tie rod back on. It seems in the process of getting it unstuck, i smashed the end of the bolt so now the nut wont thread on. I wasnt to worried about it cause i happened to have am extra that came with the used suspension i got, but guess what. The same thing had happened to it, and the two links of the rod have different threads so they cant be adjusted. Is there any way to fix the bolt, or am I just s.o.l. and have to buy a new one. Is it a common problem, and what can i do to prevent this from happening again. Thanks for the help.

Paul in NZ
01-28-2004, 03:42 AM
you can clean up the thread..go to an engineering shop they should do it for free if you can always protect the bolt with a nut on the end to cover the thread fron the bfh

moots
01-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Try using a thin hacksaw and "rethread" around the threaded part that was damaged.Do this to the first two threads,sort of like cleaning up the threaded portion.Then try the bolt.It will be tight but if you do it right,it will bolt right in.Carefull not to cross thread it!!

632 Regal
11-03-2004, 02:28 PM
dont hacksaw too far or you can cut right through it!