PDA

View Full Version : How do I know when I need a new clutch?

CrimsonBrian
02-05-2006, 07:41 PM
My car has about 150k on it and the shifting seems a little "chunky," for lack of a better term. My mechanic says I am getting close to wearing out my clutch but he said I would know when it was time to replace it. Well, I am not sure how I will know... So far no Ghost of Clutch Past has visited me in a dream... What are the signs of a fading clutch? Also, what might I expect in the way of price when I go to replace this item. I am concerned that it is going to be fabulously expensive. Thanks for all your help!

Brian

632 Regal
02-05-2006, 07:49 PM
break out the Bently manual and it wont be that expensive. Youll know when the clutch is going as it will slip when you give it gas.

Jay 535i
02-05-2006, 07:49 PM
The most common sign of a toasted clutch is slippage. You'll press the gas and the revs will rise but the car won't take off because the clutch is slipping.

It sounds like your clutch isn't declutching all the way when you press the pedal in. Low or bad clutch fluid could be a cause. You can try bleeding the system and see if that helps. Any shop can do that cheaply, so it's worth a try, I think.

On the other hand, while I don't know if you meant miles or kilometres, 150,000 miles is certainly a good, long life for a clutch.

I don't think replacing the clutch on an E34 is any big deal. Someone else around here will know for sure. You could always call a local indy mechanic and ask for a quote.

CrimsonBrian
02-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I probably should have prefaced my post by saying that I am a total mechanical retard and that, while i have a Bentley manual, it is strictly for reference. :) I couldnt do anything to my car, let alone anything involving the clutch. Now that you metion it, my clutch is slipping a little bit, but I thought that was simply my unskilled shifting. I'll see if my indy will bleed the system for me (he is great and I trust him completely). I could be wrong but I seem to remember that he quoted be around $800 for the whole job. Does this seem absurd?

Brian

P.S. Regal, your picture of that snowman had me laughing out loud!

Kobe Diesel
02-05-2006, 11:19 PM
The clutch kit on ebay will cost you around $200 on average and it includes the clutch, p-plate, t/o bearing, and the othe bearing, plus the alignment tool. That's for Sachs parts as well. Not badly priced at all.

Slippage is usually the first sign as the previous posts have explained.

In my experience, Ive had clutches go bad on me 3 times.
1. 71 Maverick (3-in-tree) clutch had 200k miles (not bad for ancient design)
2. 76 Alfetta p-plate spring went one very very cold morning, not to mention a t/o bearing after a flood (2k miles after new p-plate and new t/o bearing).
3. Mitsubishi Starion clutch gave out after 180k while going uphill slowly and the car started rolling back!. After removal and inspection, the clutch had failed catastrophically - what little was left of it went a very far way (impressive design and good quality).

Looking to replace the clutch my BMW in summer time while the weather is accomodating for such a task. Thinking about installing a lightweight flywheel. Still have to fight it over in my mind.

Let us know what happens.

tdgard
02-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I feel that a clutch is especially one of those items that the mechanically retarded should do. Loosen a few bolts--drop a heavy ass piece of aluminum on the ground--pick it up and put it back on--that simple. Give it a whirl--nothing pisses me off more that having someone quote close to a grand for something that requires more back than brains.

tdgard
02-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Jose Christa--a hundred posts since this joint opened. Well some might have been lost some time back, but who cares.

leshoiad_1
05-08-2006, 08:40 AM
u have to know that the rubber gasket in master clutch can replace with new one, it is so simple!!!!!!!!