PDA

View Full Version : prototypes?

angrypancake
01-27-2006, 01:19 AM
A buddy of mine is a Suit at BMW in dirty jerzeee, and he was telling me they saw a video of a prototype that automatically parallel parks. It's equipped with sensors that can detect the car in front of you and behind, and then does all the work (including turning the steering wheel) for you. If it goes into production it will be on the 5 and 7 series. I'm trying to get him to get me a copy of the video. Has anyone else heard of this?

jjw
01-27-2006, 02:25 AM
Well, not news any more. I think the Japanese market Toyota Prius "can" park itself. Saw a video before. And BMW suppose have a working prototype couple years ago.

genphreak
01-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Well, not news any more. I think the Japanese market Toyota Prius "can" park itself. Saw a video before. And BMW suppose have a working prototype couple years ago.Maybe that's what prompted the video on the net a few years back when this Japanese girl got out and 'kicked' her 5 e39 into the tight parking spot she had pulled up beside..

rob101
01-27-2006, 03:00 AM
Maybe that's what prompted the video on the net a few years back when this Japanese girl got out and 'kicked' her 5 e39 into the tight parking spot she had pulled up beside..
the solution to all parrallel parking problems is...... crab steering hehe makes parking a crane easy...... why not a car

Jay 535i
01-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Yes, I've seen this. Japanese cars are leading the way, and the feature is already available in some markets.

It basically takes a picture of the parking spot, does a little thinking, then drives itself in. The driver controls the car's speed with the brake, but everything else is automatic.

You'll get a shitload of hits if you Google "car parks itself".

It's way cool. If it works, I'll be able to let my wife drive my car again. ;)

DaCan23
01-27-2006, 03:09 PM
LOL....

Just another technical improvement I wouldn't want on my car.... dislike daytime running lights, active steering, I drive, run flats, etc

It's way cool. If it works, I'll be able to let my wife drive my car again. ;)

Jay 535i
01-27-2006, 03:29 PM
LOL....

Just another technical improvement I wouldn't want on my car.... dislike daytime running lights, active steering, I drive, run flats, etc

Hmm, interesting. I hear ya, but I do like DRLs, active steering sounds good (though I haven't tried it), I-drive is a good first step in the right direction, ABS is great, TC is great. Yes, runflats suck.

I'm not opposed to high tech in our cars, as long as it works.

Jon K
01-27-2006, 03:37 PM
This is the only japanese car i could find where it parked itself

http://www.whatsthatabout.com/link-sections/autos/autoimages/parked-on-sidewalk-fedex.jpg