PDA

View Full Version : Ipod instead of CD changer on stock radio

Cambridge
01-25-2006, 07:30 PM
I've wanted to plug an ipod in instead of my cd changer. My stock radio works fine (and I like the look), but I'd like it to control an ipod instead of the cd changer. I'd also like the ipod signal to enter directly rather than through a cassette adapter or FM transceiver.

I haven't found any aftermarket devices that do this for the E34 world. I was wondering if there are any others interested in such a device? :)

Mendozart
01-25-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm using the cassette adapter for now, but soon will be upgrading head unit and ipod connection will be prority #1.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Sync-ing my son's 2 gig MP3 player, I would really enjoy being able to hook one up, but not lose my CD Changer

Brandon J
01-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Look here: www.driveandplay.com (http://www.driveandplay.com)

Gayle
01-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Cambridge--I hate anonymously polls. :( I want to know who the 7 people are who want ipods. I am the one person who wants satellite radio.

Eric Clark
01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I've wanted to plug an ipod in instead of my cd changer. My stock radio works fine (and I like the look), but I'd like it to control an ipod instead of the cd changer. I'd also like the ipod signal to enter directly rather than through a cassette adapter or FM transceiver.

I haven't found any aftermarket devices that do this for the E34 world. I was wondering if there are any others interested in such a device? :)

I found one option. Install a BMW CD43, C43 or a C33. Bavauto sells an adapter that allows ipod and aux input. But if you have any of these heads forget your ipod and get a phat box or ice link. The head will look like stock and I think it even makes the interior look a little newer.

genphreak
01-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I found one option. Install a BMW CD43, C43 or a C33. Bavauto sells an adapter that allows ipod and aux input. But if you have any of these heads forget your ipod and get a phat box or ice link. The head will look like stock and I think it even makes the interior look a little newer.Pioneer's got a whole range of stereos that hook up to an iPod adapter unit ($140 extra) and integrate control of the iPod thru the head unit. I still prefer the Harman Kardon unit though- perhaps it even allows one to avoid using a head unit altogether? I wonder if it will switch an amp remote on/off lead? Even if it doesn't all you need do is switch the accessory power to the H/K adapter and run the remote trigger from that as well.

Eric Clark
01-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Pioneer's got a whole range of stereos that hook up to an iPod adapter unit ($140 extra) and integrate control of the iPod thru the head unit. I still prefer the Harman Kardon unit though- perhaps it even allows one to avoid using a head unit altogether? I wonder if it will switch an amp remote on/off lead? Even if it doesn't all you need do is switch the accessory power to the H/K adapter and run the remote trigger from that as well.

Wouldn't a pioneer head defeat the purpose of this thread? He wants to keep the head stock. My CD43 head is made by Blaupunkt.

MTechnik540i
01-26-2006, 11:56 AM

Man up, and buy a HK/Becker TrafficPro

http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/data/500/169608210006.JPG

http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/081501/pics/TPaccday.jpg

Talking NAV, plays CDs, AM/FM, XM, iPod/etc.

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Pioneer's got a whole range of stereos that hook up to an iPod adapter unit ($140 extra) and integrate control of the iPod thru the head unit....

...and only allow access to the first ~300 songs on your iPod.

Cambridge
01-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Cambridge--I hate anonymously polls. :( I want to know who the 7 people are who want ipods. I am the one person who wants satellite radio.

My apologies; I didn't give it much thought. :(

Cambridge
01-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Look here: www.driveandplay.com (http://www.driveandplay.com)

Harmon Kardon's ipod system is nice, but to connect it, you would need one of the following:

1) Plug their system into your head unit's aux input (missing on stock E34's)
2) Plug their system into your head unit's cd changer input through a third party interface (none made for stock E34's)
3) Use their wireless FM transmitter

I'd like something that plugs into the head unit like the cd changer does...

Cambridge
01-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Sync-ing my son's 2 gig MP3 player, I would really enjoy being able to hook one up, but not lose my CD Changer

... it'd be nice to have both the cd changer and the ipod.

Cambridge
01-26-2006, 05:54 PM
I found one option. Install a BMW CD43, C43 or a C33. Bavauto sells an adapter that allows ipod and aux input. But if you have any of these heads forget your ipod and get a phat box or ice link. The head will look like stock and I think it even makes the interior look a little newer.

Do the BMW CD43, C43, or C33 fit in an E34? Do they work with the driver's status display?

Eric Clark
01-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Do the BMW CD43, C43, or C33 fit in an E34? Do they work with the driver's status display?

They do not work with the drivers status display or stock M bus CD player. They work with any newer I bus CD player or compatable system once the wire is installed. Here is a picture from my car. It took less then 5 min to install.
http://img106.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-6357/loc24/37f_IMG_0800.JPG

nkadlac
01-11-2007, 02:48 AM
Man up, and buy a HK/Becker TrafficPro

http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/data/500/169608210006.JPG

http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/081501/pics/TPaccday.jpg

Talking NAV, plays CDs, AM/FM, XM, iPod/etc.

Does this HU fit into an E34?

tdgard
01-11-2007, 03:11 AM
who's winfred?

BillionPa
01-11-2007, 04:40 AM
isnt there a way to wire up the CD input to be an aux input?

for those of us without a cd changer in the back, that would be the fix all to wire an mp3 player to the stock radio.

mattyb
01-11-2007, 06:27 AM
damn right woman. who are those 7 masked IPOD collaborators? we shoot a hostage each hour until we find out!!!!!

Jehu
01-11-2007, 07:41 AM
I want to be able to run an ipod from my stock e34 Alpine 5 head-unit's CD Changer input but i have contacted everyone who advertises them and none make them for these units and none express any interest or expectation that any will be forthcoming .The only option for HU controlled Ipods NOT over FM or with a Cassette interface is to change out the stock head-unit.If one of these newer BMW factory HU's will plug in to my existing harness that would be fine. The Blaupunkt was mentioned is that known to mate with the e34 wire harness from the Amplifier and fit in the available head unit space in the dash without leaving a hideous Frankendash thing going on?These Iclink adapters for ipod do plug in to the e39 head units with CD Changer plugs so if one of those can be swapped in to the e34 that's my solution otherwise ... Cd's all over my back seat will remain the status quo.

RallyD
01-11-2007, 09:07 AM
you might want to see if the KCA-420i iPod interface will work. You will need to have Alpine's round multi pin Ai-net connector on the back of the HU. I have it in my PT with an Alpine HU. It is good because the iPod charges and you can run the wire to the glove box or pretty much anywhere, sound quality is retained. It sucks because it takes forever to scroll through the list of artists and songs.

Elekta
01-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Just put an eq with an aux input in the glove box and fuggedaboutit. put some velcro on the back of your ipod and somwhere on the dash and be done with it. Keep everything visible bone stock and have new speakers, self amped sub, amp, eq all new. It works just fine, sounds great and nobody is the the wisah.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/DSCN0952.jpg
Just be sure the amp drives all the speakers, and none get driven by the headunit, and the eq/aux input ipod will work excellently. If not, then the ipod will play out only from the speakers hooked thru it if you wire up half and half.

I got a shuffle for xmas and frankly it's a relief to only be carrying 185 songs...keeps picky co-pilots from scroll bitching

steve0suprem0
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
(+1=17 for ipod)

my current solution is a tape adapter from griffin. senses your decks motion and changes songs on the ipod, which is sitting in the ashtray. the white cord isn't pretty, but f- it.

ideally, the cd43 i think is the best option. i'd really like to see a pic of one installed in an e34. it is a bit cost prohibitive, though. but with the ice-link or whatever, and the hi-def radio, i'd be freakin set forever. if only i didn't have to sell my first born for the HU... they're always like 3 bills on flea-bay

Itsnotme1988
01-11-2007, 06:41 PM
http://www.e30tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26694

Russell
01-11-2007, 09:41 PM
work on an alpine 5 radio? They seem to be different than older bmw radios. I oculd not realy tell from the pictures where to connect the wires. I want to know more! :)

Itsnotme1988
01-11-2007, 10:00 PM
work on an alpine 5 radio? They seem to be different than older bmw radios. I oculd not realy tell from the pictures where to connect the wires. I want to know more! :)

I'm not entirely sure, I haven't opened mine up, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.