PDA

View Full Version : Oil light on too long?/Oil light "flickering" before going out

ryan roopnarine
01-14-2006, 10:08 PM
i've always though that my (m50)'s oil light stayed on too long compared to other vehicles. usually, the oil light stays on until the rev counter "bounces" after being started (under 1 second). this is not really to my liking. during a hot start (less than 15 minutes after shutdown), the light seems to go out immediately. i've been finding that, once every 4 months or so, the light will "flicker" before the rev counter hits the rebound. the length of time is not any longer than any other cold start, its just that the light does this disturbing flicker until it finally goes out. this always happens towards oil change time (3500 or more on dino), and never happens when the oil is fresh. this happens on all grades of oil, at all temps. i thought i'd ask here, because it did the flicker again today. does this point more towards needing a new sensor, or oil pump (or maybe filter/canister issues). i think i might be doing a oilpan gasket soon, should i be doing an oil pump at the same time? and, on that subject, does anyone know how much bma wants for an m50 oil pump? it is not a part listed on their website. thanks.

632 Regal
01-15-2006, 11:45 AM
maybe your dino oil is all broken down by then? makes sence cause it goes off fast when the oil is new. Pop a guage on it and see what is really going on?

winfred
01-15-2006, 01:14 PM
id change the sender as they can get flakey and are cheep, my e30s light took a few seconds to go out for a while and finally it started leaking so i just grabbed a used one out of the yard and the light went out as soon as it started, they can screw up before they outright puke

shogun
01-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Go to my website, see under e32fixes.com
Probably the ball in the oil reservoir housing is gone.

winfred
01-16-2006, 01:05 AM
the m50 does not have the same problem as the m30

Go to my website, see under e32fixes.com
Probably the ball in the oil reservoir housing is gone.