PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy shock mounts and what brand?

Moondog
01-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Ive been doing a lot of searching and so far I havent found a good answer to this.
I am on the waiting list to buy the Sachs suspension kit through BMA. I would like to replace my shock mounts front and rear when I install that kit. What brand shock mount is good, and from where? From what I have read while searching, I should avoid the "Meyle" brand shock mounts? BMA sells only those, as does bavauto, and I am not sure where else to look.

Hallmark
01-12-2006, 04:50 PM
I didn't know for sure what brand they sent me when I installed my Sachs kit, but they haven't stood up well at all. With about 60K miles on them they have sagged badly and are showing cracks with the result that the front end rides way too low.

The frustrating part is that when I did the Sachs kit I replaced the factory shock mounts not because they were worn or showing signs of age, but because they had 140K miles on them and I thought it was time they were replaced.

Please post if you find a source for some other brand that is OEM.

Tiger
01-12-2006, 08:23 PM
http://www.bimmerparts.com/ has Febi... which is the good one... You need to ask what brand that front strut mount is...

Dealer is the good one too. I think they use Boge or Febi.

RobPatt
01-12-2006, 10:29 PM
...ditto hallmark, that's the mileage and WHY I did mine....

and

...ditto Tiger about the Febis...

got my sachs and mounts, front / rear from BMA, febis came... 5K miles later no worries... will be on the lookout now for accellrated wear... wonder if that's from improper install or inferior mounts... not much to the mount instlal though... thanks for the news!