PDA

View Full Version : LAD and Heatercore - 89 735iL

AllGo'n'Show
01-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey all.....

Ok so I was thinking about this, after being ditched by the woman I decided to ponder over my suspension a little more....

The LAD system uses power steering fluid along side the ps pump right? So is it actual PS fluid that goes into the shock to change the level?

Reason I am asking, I was low on PS fluid so I topped it up awhile ago but haven't noticed any leaks around the shocks from what I could see that would mean the shock was blown. Are there other components that seem to go on the LAD system that could mean my shocks are still good just say the pump or something it the middle is gone?
How to check/diagnose?

Another thing is my Heatercore. Now some days its wonderful, other days it sucks, somedays I can smell it so harsh I open my windows, other days I can't smell anything.

I don't get alot of heat out of the thing even at full blast on full strength. My buddies honda on #1 puts out more then my on full. Would that the be the heater valves?

IF the Heatercore had a small hole or crack that woudl change with carying temperature, would a possible rad stop leak work?

Also, with installion of new headunit for stereo and wiring it up, how much further is it to get to the heater core and replace it while I am at it.

shogun
01-06-2006, 01:01 AM
First of all: do NOT put stop leak inside. If you want I can show you heater valves which are completely blocked.
To get to it: go to my website and see for the page of SBC, there are many pics.
Do you have an aircon or not?
W/O aircon it is very easy, less than 1 hour. With aircon is more difficult. There is also a good write up here on the board for the E34 which is basically the same. You do not have to remove the dash as shown in SBC (Stefan Borch) page. He tried it as first one and he removed too much.

If you have to rewire the headunit, you have have a better look at it. Maybe you can see a leak or just accumulated dirt in the heat exchanger.

LAD: that is a double acting pump which is in charge for the power steering and the LAD. Detailed description on my website in a technicians training manual. It is in German, but there are a lot of draweings which will show you the system. See for EDC and Niveauregulierung.
Most of the leaks occur in the engine room on the high pressure side, where there are hoses which are designed to stand 250 bar.

AllGo'n'Show
01-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Yes I have Aircon.
Ok no stopleak for me.
I've seen the pictures of the valves but was worried if I opened it up, cleaned them up, then it would flow more coolant to that possible faulty heatercore and screw me over. What else would cause the sweet smell we all associate with heater core?

LAD: Well I'm not sure if there is a Leak, probably as I had lost PS fluid. But where would it be to go to the rear for the shocks?

shogun
01-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Heatercore: Maybe just the gaskets there. See on Johan's page how to replace them.
I have here an old pic when I bought my Highline and inspected it. The P/O thought the engine is losing oil, actually it was Pentosin. It ran down from the outlet of the rservoir, ran down that hose, dropped to another hose and finally came out at a complete different place under the car.
http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/shogun/DSC00017.JPG

I would use brake cleaner and clean all oil from the engine and the hoses, if there is. Then drive some days and check again for the source.
Also you have to remove the protection cover at the front under the engine so that you have a better view on things there.