PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question regarding rims

Cactuar
12-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Hey folks, major noob question here... Since it's winter and I'm kind of bored I decided to wash my summer rims (15" original basketweaves, probably going to sell them). There was a lot of what appears to be grease all over sides and back, what's that for? I didn't remove all of it (just some spilled over the weaves) in case it's necessary, but what's it for? Is it just grease the wheel guy puts to ease the tire installation process?

YODA 1
12-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Hey folks, major noob question here... Since it's winter and I'm kind of bored I decided to wash my summer rims (15" original basketweaves, probably going to sell them). There was a lot of what appears to be grease all over sides and back, what's that for? I didn't remove all of it (just some spilled over the weaves) in case it's necessary, but what's it for? Is it just grease the wheel guy puts to ease the tire installation process?

---Hmmm, Zuberberfelt grease it must be, hmmm, remove not from rim...very important umm hmm.

Cactuar
12-19-2005, 07:29 AM
Why is it important?

Qube
12-19-2005, 07:34 AM
What color is it? It may be anti-seize compound.

Cactuar
12-19-2005, 07:39 AM
It's black and quite thick.

YODA 1
12-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Why is it important?
-Hmmm thought it has provoked for you i see, hmm simple grease it is, not strong with you the force. important it is to use, powers of thought you do have. practice you must to use this, ummmhmmm.

Cactuar
12-19-2005, 08:12 AM
What the **** are you blabbling about? I said I was a noob and not very knowledgeable, hence why I asked. Forget it, I'll ask on another forum, thanks.

billb
12-19-2005, 08:15 AM
What the **** are you blabbling about? I said I was a noob and not very knowledgeable, hence why I asked. Forget it, I'll ask on another forum, thanks.

He's not a representative of the collective board.

Can you take a photo of the grease you're describing? Is it possible it's wheel bearing grease? Any weird noises in the front end?

Cactuar
12-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Yeah I figured not everyone is "special" on the forum :)

I can't check for noise because I haven't installed those rims yet (I just bought the car and they came with it, as a 2nd set). A friend of mine told me not to worry about it, that it is most likely grease used to make the tire slide better when installing.

dacoyote
12-19-2005, 08:24 AM
---Hmmm, Zuberberfelt grease it must be, hmmm, remove not from rim...very important umm hmm.

Yoda... you rock my world

Darth Sidious
12-19-2005, 08:35 AM

Yoda... don't make me come kick your ass again....

Darth Sidious
12-19-2005, 08:35 AM
-Hmmm thought it has provoked for you i see, hmm simple grease it is, not strong with you the force. important it is to use, powers of thought you do have. practice you must to use this, ummmhmmm.

Yoda... don't make me come kick your ass again....

YODA 1
12-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Yoda... you rock my world

---Hmmmm,ahhh attention they must... pay to learn, to see this you do, i sense the force in dacoyote hmmmm

632 Regal
12-19-2005, 09:42 AM
if the grease is where the wheel meets the hub it was probably to help stop oxidation of the aluminum or to stop rust on the hub/brake disk.