PDA

View Full Version : Bill R./ Other Pros - TSBs and how to approach the dealer

dave b
12-16-2005, 07:15 PM
not BMW, but could be....

Bill R and other pros out there - how do dealers handle technical service bulletins? My story - my wife's 99 Mercury Cougar has been having an intermittent problem with the shifter release. Every now and then the button would not depress, thus preventing the shift from park. I go to the dealer, explain the problem, the original estimate is 1 day. I rent a car and go on with my life. The call the next day says that the whole shifter is bad and the part must be ordered (BS meter awakens - car has 39k on it). Monday is the new due day. Call at 3 PM - part is discontinued and there is no aftermarket source (my BS meter goes higher). I ask - am I going to have to scrap this car because of a $200 part - the guy actually answers "maybe." Says to check back on Tuesday. I then call Ford directly, get the runaround, call the dealer back - ask nicely for a loaner, as the car will now be out of commission for at least 5 days. The rental will cost as much as the repair.

I pick up the car, go to my bimmer mechanic, he listens to me, says "it's not the shifter, it's probably the brake light switch." On the way home I try the cruise control - doesn't work. I look up the TSBs online and find 2 from since when I was servicing my car at this dealer that were issued that detail my problem exactly. Never any mention of this from the dealer. Is is standard practice to investigate TSBs first and then the more expensive stuff (dumb question....)?

To make it right, I would like to be reimbursed for the extra day that we incurred for the rental car ($50), since they called without enough warning for us to return the car....

Also, on a previous visit, they failed to fix a problem and now will only offer me a credit towards a more expensive repair - WTF.

Needless to say, I am no longer going there....

Sorry for the long post and thanks,
Dave
93 525iM